Sikh Kirpan in schools might be considered a weapon?

Do you consider this a weapon? Is there a verity of kirpan's for children, some being more dangerous then others?

The local news was reporting that a 4th grader was in danger of disciplinary action because someone had complained about a dagger he brought to school. Then they showed this dagger, it was a small dagger shaped piece of jewelry. The school board had to get involved and it was decided it was fine for him to wear the necklace because it's for relgious reasons. I really think it's absurd this was even considered a weapon

The mom who complained said that knives aren't allowed on airplanes so they shouldn't be allowed in schools in case they ended up in the wrong hands.

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I read about them just now. I understand they are a religious item for some people but I think there should be limits. It would not be out of the question for a child to bring it to school with intentions of harm and claim they belong to said religion. They should have a length limit as well as material limit. Plastic or rubber with a blunt tip.
    Anonymous

• Rules are rules. It looks just like a knife. The school shouldnt waive the rule just because of his religion. I can totaly see the schools side in this.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It appears to be in a sheath. Other versions are a knife in a sheath. Perhaps a children's one is a solid piece created to like like 2 but either way it has no place in school really. I mean what if a child brought an unloaded gun to school. Just as harmless but still a problem.
    Anonymous

• Little girls are probably in the bathrooms, filing down their bobby pins making shanks! lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Does it come out of the sheath? If it does, even if it's not sharp enough to cut anyone, I can kind of see the school's point. I understand about religous items but some things just aren't appropriate at school especially for very young children.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• eye rollingchairs can be weapons, too, so let's all sit on the floor.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• well if its small enough to be a necklace, i dont see the problem. now if he was carrying a full sized one around his waist that could be dangerous (especially if it was sharp). the school doesnt want to get sued if someone gets hurt, they have every right to inspect and deem what is safe and what isnt...im just glad they deemed this safe as it doesnt seem harmful to me.

it makes me think of a guy i knew in high school who wore a cross around his neck that was made from nails and twine. someone complained that it was dangerous and the school agreed. he filed down the nails tips and they said it was fine. safety first i guess.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Link

This is a picture the news showed.  I don't know if this is the same kirpan the boy had:

RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• That is silly. Was the boy trying to "cut" people with it? He obviously had to do something to bring attention to it. That is strange.....

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• No he wasn't cutting anyone with it but his friends were playing with it at recess.  Still seems silly to me too.

The school board allowed it for religious reasons, which I think is great, but what if he wasn't religious.  Would the school board have decided it was a weapon.

RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010