Does anyone do white elephant gifts at Christmas?

My ex/DH's family does that. One year I got $20 worth of lottery tickets and won $50!!! The next year I got his grandmother's old toilet seat! EEEEEEEEEEW!!!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• Never heard of that? Lmao
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We don't do white elephant gifts. I have enough shit around the house and I don't need to add to it. Lottery tickets is an awesome white elephant gift. I always thought white elephant gifts were horrible.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• What are white elephant gifts?
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 3:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• White elephant gifts are (usually) something that you have around your house that you don't use or need anymore.
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Another one I got was a basket full of little shampoo/conditioner bottles, lotion bottles and bars of soap from hotels one of his aunts had saved from years of travel and staying at hotels. She doesn't use them, but keeps them for some reason....came in real handy for taking to the pool in the summer when you don't want to lug out the big bottles and bars of soap though!
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We do that with my in laws but there are no particular standards. It could be used, new, just down right dumb. Some years everyone does well, some years I'm like "WHAT are these people thinking?" lol I like to get something nice, I don't care much for the years when several of them bring like pooping reindeer or something.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Our family doesn't do it, but I've been to lots of parties where you have to bring a white elephant gift.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I wish my DH's family would do white elephant though. It would be so much easier and more fun to give something random than to find the perfect gift for his super picky sisters.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• DGM: You should just announce that this year that's what everyone will do! Make a game out of it.
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It sounds a lot like "Dirty Santa", which is basically 20$ and under gifts that people purchase (or regift). Everyone picks a number and you go in order picking up a gift. You either open the gift or exchange it for an already opened gift. If you exchange the gift, the unopened one gets opened by the person you exchanged with. And it goes on like that until all the gifts have been opened. Sometimes you get something useful and other times you get a gag gift. It's quite fun.

We play that with DH's dad's side of the family.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010