Anyone been through this???

We have been trying to adopt for almost 2 years, adopting through on-line photo-listings. Thursday will be our one year anniversary that we were matched with a little girl 5 states away, and Friday is her birthday, also DH birthday. We drove 18 hours and spent a week pre-placement visit with her. 3 weeks later the foster parents adopted her. It was a horrible ordeal, and very hard on me and our 5 year old son.

We now have a foster child we are in the process of adopting, came home Thanksgiving! Child has special needs and it has been a stressful time getting a lot of appointments scheduled with Specialists, getting overnight nursing set up, ect.

With everything going on, I can already tell it is going to be an emotional week for me. Has anyone been through a similar experience? Dealt with similar feelings/emotions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Adoption

• I have never been through this. I just wanted to say that your and amazing women and very strong. I wish you luck and congraats on this very special child who's now in your life.
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 4:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I haven't been through this before, but I'm bumping your question for you.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Congratulations!

I haven't myself, no.
    But I encourage you to set up help all around so you can focus on what you need to.
    Like moms might do with early postpartum, stock the pantry with easy to prepare meals, have others bring meals & do chores & shopping, and especially plan for 'Down Time' throughout the day. You can get out for alone time for a yoga class or just a walk around the block.
    Talk with friends-family-husband to share, vent, express yourself when-if you like.
    Whatever you can to manage.

This is hard, it will be intense, but try to breathe deeply and know it will get easier.
    Do what you can to prepare to make it really smooth so you can enjoy this time.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have not. But I pray for you and your family. Things will work out
    TiaBobia

Answer by TiaBobia at 3:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• YES I REALLY KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM I ADOPTED MY SON A YEAR AGO AND EVERYTHING WENT GOOD AND NOW A YEAR LATER I'M STILL DEALING WITH THE EMABSSY IN SUVA FIJI TO GET MY SONS VISA TO COME TO THE UNITED STATES,I'M JUST SO SAD ABOUT THAT BECAUSE I HAVE TO LEAVE THE ISLANDS COME OUT HERE GO BACK ITS STRESSFUL
    PASEKA

Answer by PASEKA at 5:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2010