Help! My son is trying to suck his thumb!?!?

My son is almost 2 will be Jan 2. We broke him of his binky at 18 months old and he hasn't asked for it since. He comes to work with me at my friends small in home daycare where we have 6 babies and 6 1 and over kiddos. Well the rooms are right be each other no seperating option and the babies use binkies and my bosses 4 year old sucks his thumb along with one of the 2 year olds. Today my son out of no where when he got tired started sucking his thumb like this is something he has done all his life!? Why? How do you break the idea? I really don't want him to do this b/c it could really mess with his teeth. Any ideas?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• heh my 4 year old seems to have picked this up withing the last 3 days i mean out off no where to suck on his thumb. i have no clue why either. he doesn't do it all the time either just every now and than but he has never sucked on his thumb before which i found rather odd.
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 4:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• discourage it, I might seem harsh but my sister sucked her fingers until 5, and my SO sucked his thumb in his sleep until 19. My son is not aloud to even try to form a habit of sucking any finger or thumb...lol
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Tyr to discourage it if you can my daughter did hers until she was iver the age of 6.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Give him a little match box car to hold on to instead of sucking his thumb.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2010