Homeschooling

I will send my son to public school when the time comes, but I'm just curious when parents who homeschool start. What age is best, when do they start to learn all those important things. I'm going to start with coloring numbers ABCs etc before school, basically homeschooling before he is old enough to go to school but I'm wondering what would be a good age to do so.

bigtrucksgirl

Asked by bigtrucksgirl at 10:44 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• we started when we came home from the hospital, and we're learning all the time. it's a continuum, not something that gets started at a specific age on a specific day.

google pre-math and pre-literacy. there's more to numbers than reciting one thru ten from memory, make sure they understand quantity, and words for quantity: more, less, equal, bigger, smaller, etc.
    get large wooden beads of varying shapes and colors and sort them by different criteria, then string them on shoelaces to make patterns.

same with ABC's: not just the song but phonics. have scavenger hunts around your house or the park for things that start with a B sound, and have all B foods that day for one meal.

don't go heavy on the deskwork and worksheets, make games to teach different concepts.

and you can never read to them too much.

-mom of a five year old homeschooled Mr. Smartypants
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I also began as soon as my children came home from the hospital. We are always learning as we play, work or have formal school time.
    My boys are in 3rd and 6th grade. We make the decision to place them in a private school or continue to homeschool each year according to their needs.

Reading is so important, as well as teaching phonics with letters.

Best wishes with your family.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2008