Would you let your son join Boy Scouts?

And what is your opinion of their no-gay policy?

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I let my daughters join Girl Scouts and I would let my son (if I had one) join Boy Scouts. I think the program is great and it teaches all kinds of skills and responsibility. Boy Scouts is based on Christian values, which is where the no gay leaders part comes in. If you are looking for something similar, there are lots of programs to check into - 4-H (it's not all aggie like people think), campfire (like co-ed scouts), spiral scouts (based on pagan beliefs), and navigators USA.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Sure he can join but the minute they start shoving their beliefs down my childs throat then I'm taking him out.
    I hate their no gay policy but there isnt anything Ic an do about it. Maybe by the time my little man is old enough to join it will change
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Both of my boys were in it, and learned a lot of things. They do not teach against gays, but some years ago had some problems with men joining as scout masters, that were perverts, and in trying to protect the boys, they went too far, I think. Sort of a don't ask, don't tell policy. Would you not want your son to join the service because it's anti-gay? Same thing, but on a different level. It's best if they start out when they are young, in cub scouts. They do have a very good program, the best I had seen, in teaching boys that it's not ok for an adult to touch a boy in any way that makes him feel uncomfortable. They also teach tolerance for anyone who is different. My boys are now grown, and they both say that it was a very good experience.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• if they have a no-gay policy I would not let him join. Not that I think my son is gay, but I want to teach him th value of humanity as a whole, not segregation.

But before a gay-policy was mentioned I said Yes
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My son is currently a Cub Scout and I agree with SweetLuci.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I do have a problem with the anti-gay policy - because I think it equates being gay with being a pedophile, somehow dangerous to children.

Having said that, I think my son would enjoy scouting - he loves the outdoors, camping, etc. and I know as he gets older they have SeaScouts in our area.

I appreciate the opinions - but no more like Aquarius80's. I don't care if you think Scouting is for geeks or not.
    sweetpotato418

Comment by sweetpotato418 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• M brothers were scouts my sons ried but the scout master was another religion and instead of camping out in the mountains they would camp out in his yard. so the boys lost interest quickly.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• LOL pinkdragon36... what kind of religion allows you to camp in the yard and not in the wilderness? Or a campground at least? I'm not poking at your answer, that seriously has me rolling. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I can see how yard camping would not really keep you interested!! I want to know what religion that guy was too!

Aquarius80 - I get that that was your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I'm looking for input on BSA and their anti-gay issue, not if you think Scouting is for geeks. I got your opinion, I just don' need anymore in than vein. No offense, just not what I'm looking for.
    sweetpotato418

Comment by sweetpotato418 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2010