What is Gestational Diabetes like?

Those of you who have or previously had GD, could you describe how you felt? I've been feeling a bit odd lately and my mother suggested that it could be GD...

(I am 14 weeks pregnant right now.)

Mandiii04

Asked by Mandiii04 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had GD. I found out when I was around 28-30 weeks I think. The only thing I felt is when I didn't eat I felt very faint. I went to the store a couple of times in the morning before I ate breakfast and had to sit down or walk slow because I felt very hot and felt like I was going to pass out.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I got a bit light headed when I hadn't eaten in a bit. Otherwise, I felt fine. I had GD for both of my pregnancies. They tested the first time around 27 weeks and the second time at 18 weeks, as I had it with a prior pregnancy
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you get diabetes before week 21 that is PRIMARY diabetes NOT gestational--- you may have been undiagnosed or low on the scale but that is primary type 2
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't of even of known I had GD because I felt fine. If you think you have GD then you might want to call your OB or bring it up at your next appointment.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 10:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You can't get tested for GD until about 22-28 weeks. And you wouldn't even know that you had it until you were tested for it. Anyways, it is probably just hormones changing or nausea.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 11:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2010