When did you start your child/children in music lessons? When is a good age?

I want to put my daughter in piano lessons, she is almost 4. Do you think this is too young to start? When did you start your children?

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If she can read then go for it. That is what the piano teacher told me when I wanted to teach my son. He could so we did. He has been playing the piano for 16 years.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I nver did and wouldn't unless the CHILD showed interested and was old enough to reliably pratice everyday.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Personally I think it depends on the instrument. Obviously if you want her to play the Tuba, a 4yo is going to have a little trouble holding it. But if you want her to start the pan flute, 4 could work...

Around here most music places won't take on students before they are 7 or 8. My aunt started doing her lessons at home, with a tutor and then moved to a teacher once she was old enough to fit what they wanted...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My child has shown interest in the piano. Her brother is in guitar lessons so I suppose that's why she knows. She wants to learn how to play and I can't teach her. I know I would have to learn with her and herlp her practice. I was just wondering if anybody else put their young child in lessons and how it worked. Thank you.
    Aquarius80

Comment by Aquarius80 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• She knows her ABCs and can identify them, she can't read words, though. How old was your son when he started, mmegan?
    Aquarius80

Comment by Aquarius80 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My kids didn't show an interest until 6th grade when band is required. I think 4 is too young.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 5:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i never did music lessons...but she was in swimming lessons at 4...then dance, and soccer...but..i cant afford anything like that right now, so she had to stop :(
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Most schools start in the fifth grade
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 11:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2010