Am i crazy at 52 to want to apply to Optometry School to become an Eye Doctor?

10 years ago i decided i wanted to go back to school, but not just to increase my salary, but to be able to help others. To help people here and abroad, to be able to do something meaningful even when i retire.

Pinkbutterfly58

Asked by Pinkbutterfly58 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in

• I don't think you're crazy! Good for you! Apply!! My husband hires Optometrists and Pharmacists, he is always looking for qualified individuals so there are jobs out there.

I've been thinking about going back myself, just need to really want it.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would say that depends on your current education level. It will require 4 years to receive a bachelors degree, 4 years of medical school (if you get in the first year you apply), then 3-5 years of residency depending on if it requires an intern year and if you want to do a fellowship. If you are up to it go for it. During residency you will earn about 45,000 a year. I hope this helps.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It is never too late! Go for it. Good luck!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think it is great that you have that much drive and desire. If it something you think you can handle then I would say go for it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think it is great. Go for it!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• No! Good Luck!! My mil went back to college, online, to do something that she admitted she wont even do after she's done with college! And even worse is shes using the governments money for nothing!! Lots of luck to you!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Sounds like something you want to do so go for it! I should have taken up my optometrist years ago when he offerred to pay for my schooling if I would come back and take over his practice. Young and dumb!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Never ever sell yourself short and think time restrains YOU! GO for it! We only have this life and at 50 you will find you will learn more this time around than ever (it just might take a little more to retain the info) LOL

Good luck to you! graduate

gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 5:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2010