never had a cat so i have a few questions?

So my husband and I own our own house. We have a 4 year old and 9 month old. We would like to get a cat. We have never had a pet. We wanted to get a sphynx. We dont quite know what is involved with getting a cat or how to care for it or even where to get one from. We know we want a baby and we want to get it fixed. someone said declawed but i think its a bit crule (no offence to those who do that) So i just dont know hwere to get one or how to start. Help, advice please ladies give me something i have never had a pet before so im not sure if its a god idea. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Pets

• yes declaw at least the front paws
    spay or neuter too

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I am allergic to cats so I don't know what to tell you.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 6:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• get food and water,put it in a bowl
    get a cat box and scoop litter,show the cat where it is
    that's about it. they're very independent

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You do not have to declaw - check out http://www.softpaws.com/ and see the alternative.  We use these with our cat and we love them.  Plus, think about how much more humane it is for the cat!  You want to get one that is right at 6 months and get it fixed - this way you can avoid spraying issues.  Cats are super easy to care for, and really litter train themselves.  Clean the box daily so the cat wants to use it and you will be good to go.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Breed is actually important with small kids. Some breeds will NOT tolerate the action and noise of kids and will therefore behave badly. Make sure you get the breed that is most adaptive. Getting a baby or six months old is a GOOD idea. Shelter adoptions are tough (we just went through this) as cats are usually older than babies and do not adapt well. Declawing actually isn't needed (I've done both) as long as you clip nails regularly and start when they are little so they are used to it. Male cats are usually nicer than female. American Shorthairs or mutts are good ones. Cats are finicky. Getting a pet requires respect. Don't get one if you can't afford vet bills or plan to ditch it when it scratches your baby and it will. Most vets will suggest you wait till the kids are about 8. Mine were five and six when we got ours and she's still adapting to my younger son. It's like another kid, more responsibility. Good luck. Call a
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Do no declaw that is cruel. Cats are great animals, but as kittens they bite your ankles and they do constantly claw things so they need a clawing post. There is a lot of work keeping the litter boxers clean, but with only one cat it shouldn't be too hard. I have two cats and they sleep with me and d/h and they run around the house at night like little loud kids. They are fun though.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 6:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Cats are easy most of the time...

And as tempting as it is to get a lovely specialy breed...I would suggest with small kids and it being your first...DONT

Sometimes those type of cats are not as family and kid friendly...as you would like. Look in the paper for some free kitten litters and go find a nice tabby :) I have had LOTS of cats over the years and for some reason a nice orange tabby will make the best pet for a kid

Your idea of getting a kitten and having them fixed is wonderful though!

Cats basically need food...water...and a litter box cleaned daily and they are fine!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Breed is extremely important especially with small children. Everyone in the household, including the cat should be comfortable. Good idea to get a small kitten, it will grow up with the whole family and know nothing else. Go online or ask a local vet which breeds are good family pets. Cats are different than dogs, they have an entirely different outlook on life and there is pretty much no training them to act how you want them to-once you own one you will realize that in reality they own you! But there are alot of breeds that are great with small children and are loving and entertaining. You wont be sorry you got one! Good luck!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• No DE-CLAWING(it's barbaric I worked at a Vet's office for years and a lot of good Vet's will NIOT do the procedure-just trim the cats nails and get scratch boxes) read up on the breed if you decide to get a exotic to find out about all their fun little quirks,health,grooming children tolerant etc,reputable breeder(No puppy/kitty mill pets-please),there is also specific breed rescue look on Cat Fanciers website they do get kittens and younger cats too), other the that just love,neuter/spaying,clean water and food and a good inside perch to watch the outside world go by . and keep them inside for a happy and healthier cat. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Cats are relatively easy to take care of. I have always had them. DO NOT DECLAW!! It is unnecessary and VERY cruel. It's what lazy and uncaring people do. Would you want your own fingernails removed?

You need a litter box (covered is probably best), dishes, food (Cat Chow Indoor is really good .. mine are picky and they love it). Definitely have the cat fixed. Toys, scratching post.

Definitely consider how the cat and your kids will react together. A kitten is good so they can all grow up together, but don't get too young. Maybe 6-8 months old.

Good luck on your new family member ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010