Does your teenager have a job?

If so
How many hours do they work?
Do they work during the school week?
HOw much money do they make?
Do they have to save any of it?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Yes, both of my boys work. Mainly on the weekends, but they may work three hours after school. My youngest gets about 24 hours a week. and my oldest worked about the same when he was in school.They love having their own money.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 6:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• All of my sons started working the summer before they started the 11th grade. They worked during the school year and averaged 15-25 hours during the school year and 30-40 hours a week during school breaks so they averaged $80-$250 a week. They worked less hours during football and track seasons for 2, during football & baseball seasons for 1 and during football, track drama for one drama for another. They had to maintain a 3.0 or better GPA to continue working (and to conitue to be able to drive) since they had practices. All of mine had bills to pay while they worked (car insurance, cell phone & gas for their cars which was about $250 a month all totalled) and when they had money to save they did. How much they saved varied since their pay varied. They saved for when they couldn't work many hours, for the things they wanted & so that when they started college they'd have money for their bills & extras.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I forgot to add my sons make about 175 a week. I try to make them save,but they don't. They did buy their own classrings, I was going to buy it but they got ourtageously expensive ones. They are saving to buy their own car.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 6:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My kids aren't tennagers yet. They will have jobs when the time comes though. I think it helps get them ready for real life.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010