Any tips for air travel with a 10 mo?

I've never flown before, and we're going home for Christmas. Do I have to pay to have her car seat AND stroller checked in addition to our bags? I'm not sure how this all works.

BellasMom185

Asked by BellasMom185 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that you can gate check your stroller as you board the plane. If you car seat is part of the stroller I would guess it would go there too. It's been a long time since I've flown, especially with a young child. I would call the airline just to make sure.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It's not attached to the stroller, she has a forward facing seat now and it's pretty big. I'm afraid its gonna be more hassle than anything
    BellasMom185

Comment by BellasMom185 (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Since its forward facing, almost all airlines check those for free, I believe a big stroller too. Bring like a umbrella stroller through security and what not. It is like a free carry on. I'd look at the airlines website you are flying. Or the TSA website. My son was 9 months and still in his infant car seat so we got to bring the whole travel system to the actual gate. I'd also go to like babies r us and get the bag for the car seat, just so it doesn't get ripped since they "man handle" luggage!

Here is the TSA website.. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

As long as you are prepared, it takes no time!!!  Good luck!

Sarahe786

Answer by Sarahe786 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Um, I realize this isn't your question, by WHY is your 10 month old in a forward-facing seat??? Do you realize that's against the law, and VERY dangerous??
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• its free to check those in on airlines, i done it back in march when my baby was 6months old, and its not against the law to have your child in forward face seat at 10months, cos kids can be bigger than what you expect so the baby is able to hold there and be good then they are fine
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Anglebaby, you are wrong about the forward facing. I used to certify carseats. I know what I'm talking about. Even at one year, no child can withstand the impact of a rear end or head on collision.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Musicpisces, my child will not fit in a rear facing carrier. She makes weight and height requirements to be forward facing. Already looked into it before I bought the car seat, thanks though.
    BellasMom185

Comment by BellasMom185 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• ask for pat down dont let them scan your baby that is a lot of radiation for a tiny baby

I really think car seat is a mute point on a plane
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I'm just trying to find the most convenient way to travel with my DD that's all
    BellasMom185

Comment by BellasMom185 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010