Can we afford it

I'm a FT student, my SO works.
He makes 21 an hour working 24hours a weeks at his job...500weekly
On the side he is a personal trainer and makes 60 an hour/session, more for a group, and see's about 6 people a week and brings about 1k to 1.5k a week.

He gets my sons and his healthcare from his job, I have my own healthcare, my son could always get on mine if need be but his is cheaper because it's thru an employer.

He wants to quit his job and just do personal training. I'm just afraid he won't be able to afford HC, my tuition, rent, etc.

If he only brings in 1k-1.5k a week, can we afford health care?
rent is $1175 a month
tuition is $7500 a year (which is on a loan right now) 2 years left
food/utilities/car etc is $1000

Idk

Should I make him get more clients before he quits and prove he can bring in more? He only works like 10-15 hours doing personal training, maybe I should make him work 24hours so he has to bring in more money???

help me...he is very convincing right now

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 6:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would suggest making sure that you all can replace the income you are giving up BEFORE you give it up. If he quits his job they aren't likely to give it back if he needs it and no guarantee he will find another.

If he loves being a personal trainer and wants to do just that, maybe he can get some business cards and pass them out at the local gyms to everyone that comes out. I would definitely encourage him to follow his dream! If he is passionate about it and really likes what he does, then he will succeed. Just build a little more clienetele first. And he can ask his existing customers for referrals.

I can understand where he is coming from, I'm a Beachbody Coach and love helping people reach their health/fitness goals, and the company gives me customers too which helps build my business. I also have a weekly workout group .. he can do something like have a FREE session every few weeks to get clients.

Good Luck
    TeamJacobsCoach

Answer by TeamJacobsCoach at 9:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Thats a really hard question. Maybe he can make more doing that type of work you never know. I would say " until you make in one job what you are making in two quitting is just not a good idea." tell him you dont like the "IF" in life. Thats my honest opinion
    NE1outthere

Answer by NE1outthere at 7:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Does he (you) have a backup plan if thigns dont work as plan i.e enough in emergency savings?
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 7:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Only savings we have right now is for retirement, we could always pull from that if necessary.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• So $2,800 is the amount you spend every month? If so, I think the $1,000+ a week will be fine. Just make sure that the $1,000 a week is a definite.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Dh's ex would not let him do what he always wanted because she was afraid of not having enough money. That's all he does with me and we do just fine. You only live once and need to be on the same page, together.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2010