Can you explain the practise of spreading the word of God to others to me?

I figure unless you've lived under a rock,you know SOMETHING about Christianity. Have you really met someone who had no idea about it?
I don't understand the practise. I'm very annoyed by the ones that come to your door. Have they really converted people by knocking on their door or handing them a pamphlet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• It annoys me too. I simply tell them that I'm very aware of whatever religion they're trying to convert me to, and I've already chosen not to be a part of it. If they persist, I close the door.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• . Have they really converted people by knocking on their door or handing them a pamphlet?

Well I've "de-converted" someone when they came knocking on my door to give me a pamphlet. Not intentional, I just shared my beliefs and how a person can be good and moral, etc without God in their lives just as someone else could if they did believe in God. So I suppose it could happen in the reverse as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Actually I have been on several "visitations" with our chruch and we typically go to houses with people who have vistied our church and seem interested...not just random houses...

ANd yes I have seen several people accept Jesus in their living rooms :)

You are right, most people here in America know something about it...but most people have not heard a first hand account of how God changed their lives personally and in their own home.
    Anonymous

• I really don't understand the door-to-door thing, either. . . and the idea of missionaries going to convert people is plain frightening to me, since so often it turns into a "food for faith" sort of thing--coercing people to follow a particular religion in exchange for food, medicine and clothing--sort of a twist on pimping.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Missionaries annoy me as well... I dislike anyone who does such a thing. Never unerstood the practice and never want to
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 8:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We are told to go into all the world preaching the gospel. And, yes, that can and does mean door-to-door. I've known people whose interest was piqued by a doorknocker and who later were saved because of that initial visit. We know that a lot people won't be interested, but we're planting seeds. Today, you're not interested, but tomorrow or next week or next year or five years from now, you might be. And if we hadn't knocked on your door, you wouldn't have been at all.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i've never met anyone who had no ideas about xtianity..but i've met hundreds who had the wrong idea. like a pp said, most church visitations are simply 'visits' to people who have 'visited' the church, or if not, it consists of a simple invite to visit. no more, no less. i betcha if a door-knocker is met with hostility (and i'm not saying ANYONE ever is hostile..sigh..), they'd leave. i find it very hard to believe a door-knocker would persist with a stranger, when the stranger holds no interest, or shows hostility to the 'visit'.

as i've said before, its your house, your door. uninvited guests do not have to be acknowledged. simply ignore the knock.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i became a JW after one knocked on my door and i'm extremely grateful. My life changed that very day. We go door to door because the bible instructs us to do so, we also try to follow in Jesus' footsteps and he also went home to home.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Well I remember once I had a person knock on my door, I was a little busy because I was baby sitting 8 kids at the time. So I looked out the window from up stairs and said Hi can I help you? THey said they just wanted to spread the good news. I said
    Oh I am sorry I am so busy with all these kids I have 8 up here. They said "we really don't want to bother you. I said thanks. They said is there any thing we can do for you? I said yeah I could use some prayers. They said no problem we will keep you in our prayers.
    So even though I did not talk to them they spread the word of God through being kind and generous. I still remember this 20 years later.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I was always taught to lead others to Christ by the way you lived your life, not to push my beliefs onto others. You inner light will shine and they will be curious and ask why, THEN you tell them. I don't really get the door-to-door thing either. It definitely annoys me.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2010