5 months old and don't know what is coming my way.

My son is a very healthy 21lbs smily boy. Yes I know he is very big, compared to when he was born at 4lb 10oz.....But he is rolling over very playful, eats ok, the jarred baby food all that good stuff, my ? is what is coming my way....When will he begin to crawl, what about siting unsupported...when he he begin to hold his own bottle....Things of that nature.....
I know all children are different and they will do things in thier own time, but the books are so vague on what to expect.....can you give me just a rough idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Typically by 6months they can support themselves when sitting. As for crawling well that just depends on your baby. My son was crawling by 7months and walking by the time he was 9 and half months and he to was a chunky baby. They out grow that to by the way. Most babies are walking by 15months though. Dont rush enjoy the fact he cant get around yet.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The books are vague for a reason...

Every child is different. Some babies crawl at four and five months and some don't crawl until nine or ten months. There is no "this goes for all" when it comes to the development of infants and children...each child develops at their own pace.

It has been known that larger babies tend to take longer to walk and crawl. However, as I previously stated, this does not go for ALL babies who are larger...it is simply a generalization based on studies.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My daughter was I think 5 months old when she started to crawl but she was averaged sized at that age...I think she was in the 45th percentile or something. She was "cruising" by the time she was 7 months but refused to walk by herself until she turned 14 months.

I have a friend that has a16 month old daughter who is STILL not walking alone...she has no developmental issues at all....she just isn't ready to walk yet.

Once again, it all just depends on the child.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I enrolled with Pampers.com and they send you monthly newsletters according to your child's age. They will tell you the milestones to watch out for every month and there is a lot of information about development (plus lots of coupons too). Also, the pediatrician gave me list of milestones for his first year.

And yes, Avasmommy is right: every child is different so don't panic, but it really is helpful to check milestones and discuss them with the doctor if you see any problems.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 11:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• ... and here's a saying that I really appreciated having in mind: Walk at One, Talk at Two, Think at Three. ... As everyone says, every child is a variation - my oldest walked at One plus two months, my second walked at 8 months (he had grown very fast and was fixated on his older brother so he walked early), but that WAS too young because he skipped crawling. Crawling is an important stage, it puts into place some hardwiring for coordination both physically and mentally. When I realized what was out of whack, at the age of 3, little son and I did a lot of crawling "games" to catch him up.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• MY DD IS 5MONTHS AND BEEN SITTING UNSUPPOERTED SINCE 3 1/2 MONTHS AND HOLDS HER BOTTLE WHEN I GIVE HER ONE OF COURSE.DOCS SAY SHE MIGHT SKIP CRAWLING ALL TOGETHER.JUST DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH TIME U WORK WITH THEM IN A DAY.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008