How can I keep my cat out of the tree?

Honestly I am about to throw my cat out the door! He will not stay out of our Christmas tree. He has broken several ornaments and knocked it over twice. I really dont want to have to clean up all that water and decorations again. I lock him up at night and when we are gone so I dont know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CallMeMommy2410

Asked by CallMeMommy2410 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• put a dog in front of it lol. jk i'm not sure i guess i would say put the cat outside... there only in the tree do to the decorations.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We honestly didn't get a tree when we had a cat in the house that we knew would be that way. We just bought a big wreath and put it up with a few decorations and lights.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Spray him with a water bottle!
    Sarahe786

Answer by Sarahe786 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You have to scold him when you catch him in the act, I am going through the same thing I have three, and I scold them the first time and the second , and then there was no third time.

Answer by older at 7:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 7:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• First you have to realize that he isnt doing it to be bad, he is just sooo fascinated by it and everything on it he just cant help himself. Remember he is a member of the household too so you may have to compromise. I, too, had this problem with my 28 pound maine coon so eventually I got smart and got a tabletop tree and put it in a place he cant really get to. Now he just likes to look up at it. Also, be careful with ribbons and stuff that he can eat, they can get tangled in the intestines and be potentially deadly. Good luck!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Save yourself the headache and anchor your tree. I gave up trying to keep the cats out of the tree, when it's anchored it won't fall over. Then get plastic decorations.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I have the same problem with my cat. I just use unbreakable ornaments now lol, I got tired of fighting with him over the tree.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 7:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I put the baby gate/cage/thing around it. We bought it for our DD and never ended up using it, but man it's been my tree's shield! Blocks the kid, cats, AND the puppy! *winner* IMO!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• DO NOT PUT KITTY OUTSIDE. There are to many predators outside and there are relatively defenseless.
    All of the above tips are great. Two things we do - no fragile ornaments and tying the tree to the wall if able. Our kitty is old and doesn't bother much with the tree anymore. Good luck!
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 8:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2010