Potty training blues?

So my soon to be two year old has been working on potty training for six months now. We're using cotton training pants and everything is going well, for the most part but some days seem worse than others. Mostly he'll tell me when he has to go pee at home and every time we go out somewhere we make sure to visit the potty as often as possible but a lot of the time when we're out of the house he'll just pee in his pants instead of saying anything (or he'll say something after). Today was one of our bad days, he's had a bunch of accidents and I feel like throwing in the towel and just doing the easy thing and putting him in pull ups.

He only wears pull ups during naps and at bed time.

So my question is, how do you deal with the bad days? Because I'm at the end of my rope, I keep telling myself he'll get there but after today I'm doubtful.

CatNova

Asked by CatNova at 7:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DON'T do the pull ups!! It will just cause him to regress. Have you ever tried the 3 day method? I have the e-book if you're interested.
    Just know it's only one day, it will pass. DS has those days here and there, where he has a few accidents, or refuses to go on the toilet, and we just have to be patient and know that it will be better tomorrow. Hang in there, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would use the cloth ones at home and the pull ups when out and about or just keep asking if he has to go.
    Tesha_Ann

Answer by Tesha_Ann at 7:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• What is the three day method?
    CatNova

Comment by CatNova (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Training pants just for outings isn't bad, unless you want to carry around a bunch of clothes whenever you go anywhere. It could be considered easy or it could be considered being more patient with the process.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i'd say do pull ups on your outings till he gets use to it...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you go out, take him to the toilet in every fifteen, twenty minutes. Even he does not need to go. Sit him on the toilet and wait until he tries. They usually can't feel properly weather they need to go to the toilet or not. Especially when they have something interesting or new around. You have to be the careful one and be aware and take him to the toilet. He doesn't want to play with you. He just hasn't learned yet how to listen to the signs when he needs to pee. It will develop into an unconscious reflex. But until than the fifteen, twenty minutes 'you have to try' method the most successful. They learn and grow fast:) It will be over soon.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 7:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• he's too young and not ready yet
    quit for now and retry in 2 months
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Deep breaths. It takes time and if he is like my two girls, when they are stressed they pee their pants, and mine has been trained for a year next month.
    When out in public, you go before you leave the house. If you are gone for more then an hour take him to try. Mine have to sit and sing there ABC's, this helps them to relax and get it all out.
    Stick with the cloth undies. You might try a reward for dry undies all day or after trips. M&M's really helped mine youngest after we moved. Now we have moved to a penny each night if her undies are dry all day. She loves putting it in her piggy bank and shaking it. Now when she does pee her undies she is to take them off wipe herself and get fresh undies. She then gets fresh undies and puts them on. If it is a bad one (rare now) I help clean her up.
    Focus on what he is doing right and it will come in time. He will get it, no one graduates grammer school in pullups
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2010