For all Christians

what do you say when a person says to you "oh I don't believe in that Jesus stuff"
whats an appropriate response from someone who is profoundly motivated by Jesus Christ

MELRN

Asked by MELRN at 7:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I usually say if i know them "That's ok, he still loves you" and if i don't know them, i usually say "That's sad" That may sound harsh but that's me
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 7:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Just answer them and tell them they're entitled to their own beliefs, as are you =) There's no reason to take it any further or create a scene over it. A simple response, if ANY response, will work.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• @ Melrn - Making sarcastic remarks about another ones religious beliefs isn't funny, and isn't very christian either. Not trying to give you a rude remark or anything, but just let it be. Accept people as they are. Yes change needs to be done in this world, but on a kind level. Not anything else will do.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• As a Christian the best thing to do is be kind & non-judgemental... Its not Christian-like to have a "better than" attitude or to be rude to others...

The saying "kill them with kindness" works best... If all Christians were kind & let it be maybe people wouldnt be so hard on us.. The sad thing is, Christians can be the most judgemental people in a room & that is NOT following in the steps of what Jesus would want..

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I agree with some of the others, I don't understand how it should be coming up in casual conversation with people, or why you would have to say anything back to them. The only appropriate response is one that is out of unselfish love and acceptance for the other person. Jesus never crammed his message down people's throats, or pushed it onto anyone who didn't want to hear. His message was more a message of action, anyway, rather than a message of words... As St. Francis is often credited with saying, "preach the gospel everywhere, when necessary use words". It is our actions and the way we live our day to day lives, without necessarily pushing or preaching, that is our testament, our greatest example and encouragement to others - though I don't believe in all of this "must convert others" stuff a lot of other Christians are into - I believe God is available to everyone, however they choose to find Him...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would just reply very simply ... "Okay" ... nothing more. Matter of fact, that's what I did when I wore my crosses and what I still do while wearing my pentacles. 

No matter what faith/religion you have, you are going to run across people who do not believe the same as you. For the most part, shrug it off and go on about your business. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I say "That's fine, I do" :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• 4theloveofTink - Yes, that is harsh and rude.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Why do you need to respond at all? And if it is someone you do not personally know, how (or why) would religion come up at all? THAT is really inappropriate. There isn't any need to respond at all, simply not sharing your beliefs is not in any way an attack on your religion, or you. Get over yourself.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I like what theLoveofTink said about "that's okay. He loves you". I don't think that is rude or harsh at all. I find that it works well to just form a relationship with a person and over time you earn the right to be heard when you share your views with gentleness and respect. I've had non-Christians ask me for prayer after I've gotten to know them and shared a little at a time. I would leave out the sarcasm, though. I agree, OP, that it can be an opportunity, but one to be handled with care.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010