Is this right?

My baby's pediatrican has just recently told me that she's worried about my baby's iron levels and calorie intake. My baby is really sensitive to tomatoes and milk products. I can't even eat anything with milk in it without it affecting her. Honest to God this baby will get sick if I even have a glass of milk or a piece of cheese. And if I have just one piece of pizza? She breaks out in a rash, even ketchup on french fries will cause her to break out!
So, should I be worried that the doctor wants my baby to have formula or should I continue to monitor my food intake and nurse my baby despite what the doctor says? I'm wanting to do what's right for my baby, but in the end am I hurting her by nursing or actually helping?
She's 6 months old right now, and chunky compared to my older kids.

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 7:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would follow doctors orders.

Answer by older at 7:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• follow the doctors she might just need the formular now
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Start the weaning procedure. Give her mashed vegetables. If you want to nurse her, do it in the morning and the evening but start to give her formula as well. IF you want to nurse her than do not eat food that she has an allergy for because it just gets worse and she can even die if her body shut off by the allergy. Or she can get an anaphylactic shock. An allergy is not a toy when you can say she will get used to it. It is much more serious.
    If you want to nurse her than stop eating those thing she can't have. Or go to formula plus mashed vegetables, fruits. She will love it. And 6 months old is enough old to start the weaning:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• How old is your little one?

Most American pediatricians are not properly educated about breastfeeding, nor understand the growth pattern differences of breastfeed babies. YOUR MILK IS PERFECT. Your baby does not need formula, or anything extra for the entire first year of life.

PM me if you want to talk, I have some suggestions for you :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would ask about liquid vitamins.

I have found that doctors don't know a lot about nursing and don't often promote it. They don't often give a free nursing cover but they have plenty of free formula and diaper bags with formula names plastered on them.

For a baby with a sensitive system the best option is often nursing. I had 2 with dairy issues and the best thing I did for them was watch my diet while nursing. Fooling with formula could have made their issues much worse. And neither has dairy issues now.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would listen to the doc w/ the degree.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 8:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Most doctors have very LITTLE training about nursing so I would contact a lactation consultant first and then decide whether to wean the child or not. Until then limit your food intake. I know many women whose children had issues with certain foods and they just watched their diets and continued nursing their children with doctor and lactation consultant approval. Personally I would NOT wean my child and would just limit my diet. Formula should be given only if absolutely necessary and LO would likely end up needing a soy or other allergen formula due to the issues when you drink milk.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I have never heard of a doctor telling a woman to stop breastfeeding because of iron deficiency in the baby. Try giving iron fortified cereal, like rice cereal mixed with your breastmilk, and ask the doc for some kind of iron supplement for babies instead. Maybe get a new pediatrician while you're at it. If your baby is allergic to milk, then you can't give her milk. Period. Unless he wants you to give the allergy-free formula which is supposedly foul tasting.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 8:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you are diligent about watching your food intake then you should be fine. You can cause her allergies to get worse if you continue to eat/drink foods that she has an allergy to. Causing the allergy to even become deadly for her if it does escelate. However, watching your intake of certain foods/drinks you could prevent reactions and continue to nurse. Although, it is much safer for you to switch to formula, so that both you and her are getting what you need without it effecting her health. I honestly think it's in your best interest to formula feed her, seeing as it would be really hard to cut out all dairy and tomatoes from your diet. However, if you're commited you may be able to work with your doctor in getting the right diet to benefit you both.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Eliminate those things from your diet, and you can buy iron supplements for infants, if her iron is low. Did they do a blood test to know that or is he just assuming? Sometimes peds just assume that because you're breasfeeding the babies iron is low.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010