why are people contemplating taking their kids out of school in february?

Hey I'm just kinda in the dark on this will someone explain? If you even know what I'm talking about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hadn't heard of it.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think it's Black History Month and they don't want Obama to be made out to be better then he really is bc he's black. It doesn't really make sense to me but I think that's the reason.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I have heard this too. Someone explained to me it's because they don't want Obama's influences on Black history month. These are the same idiots who think being a bigot is the right choice to make. The sad thing is the only ones who will suffer in this would be the children not recieving the education they need. Rather an education on how to be ignorant and hateful.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The fact that you have no idea why people are considering this suggests that you are a reasonable person :-)
    How crazy do you need to be all of a sudden think "Crap! We elected an African American as President! We'd better take our kids out of school for black history month! Who knows what evils will be taught!!!"
    Crazy isn't it?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I haven't heard of this til now. How horrible that people actually think this way!!! It's totally crazy!
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• oh ok...well I think it is stupid...Just because the future presidant is black, YOU choose to take your children out of school....I will say that I voted for McCain, but I think Obama wll be a great leader as well
    Anonymous

• I only heard 1 person say it and I think its because that person is ignorant.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Because they are idiots!
    Anonymous

• I just responded to a question about this in another topic. I guess the person who posted this question was afraid that the school would make Obama out to be some sort of god during Black history month. Of course the schools are going to talk about him, especially during Black history month. This election was a historic event, but I don't think it will be blown out of proportion. IMO, if people are considering pulling their kids out of school because February is Black history month and our president-elect is part Black, than they are racist.
    PnMMom

Answer by PnMMom at 12:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The only reason my kids would miss some school in February is that the snow is usually great that time of year! We can't wait to ski!

I am glad their school teaches them about all the different people in our "melting pot" country.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 1:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008