my soon to be 5 yr old FINALLY got an appointment w/ a colorectal surgeon that it is VERY hard to get into.. and i mean YEARS waiting list..people come from all around the world to see these doctors in Cincinnati OH at childrens....but i am NOT happy.. help :(

my daughters has this rare thing called anal stenosis.. its from birth.. and hers was missed at birth.. at all her check ups, at all her doc visits i took her to for constipation.. FINALLY was caught when she was in the surgical room for being diagnosed with THE WRONG THING.. she was 2 1/2 when they found what it was.. by then her colon was severely stretched out, and she had horrible potty problems.. ugh makes me sick to realize how many doctors missed this..
Shes on meds, & for months i had to dialate her MYSELF everyday, multiple times a day, to stretch her little bottom out.. worst time of BOTH of our lives..

she had surgeries to fix it.. and now she will be 5 in a few months.. still on medicine..

she has it all over again.. scar tissue grew back.. we found THIS out because she swallowed a penny and it got stuck in her rectum so they went to get it, and realized she needed yet another surgery, AGAIN to fix her stenosis.. AGAIN.

so we FINALLY got in w/ the BEST surgeons from what I hear.. the have a center for this.. but here is my issue...

this new surgeon is NOT meeting w/ me first.. he has all her records, info, EVERYTHING, pictures, labs, doc notes, biopsy results.. but our first meeting is scheduled in a month.. and its for my daughter to be put under anesthesia to be examined and biopsied.. am i missing something? she was just biopsied AGAIN a few months ago.. its always the same thing.. and from her last procedure they have pictures of her rectum... i have said multiple times i am not comfortable w/ her just always going under anesthesia.. why cant this surgeon look at her pictures and go from there?? or does he really need to see for himself?? I have already been told she will need another surgery to fix the scar tissue.. so why is he even needing to look before they do that?? i dont understand.. and i do not want to cancel my apt...

mohme2three

Asked by mohme2three at 8:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Is there any way you can get a second opinion? Is this guy truly the only doctor in the area for this?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Ive had so many second opinions.. this is the one that EVERYONE refers me too and has for years, and ive finally got her in to him.. shes been through 4 surgeons already.. and they are all just curious as to why her case got missed and are interested in her for themselves & they want to do everything themselves.. and re do and re test its so obnoxious..
    mohme2three

Comment by mohme2three (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Sometimes these (best dr.s around) are real asses. I'd call his office and speak to a nurse. I'd ask if it is common for him to not first meet with the family. Tell them you really would like to meet with him. Hopefully at least you can speak to him before the procedure. Good luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i really do not know. i would assume they are extremely busy and they need to see for themselves. i would be very nervous too to put my child under again. you can ask that you feel more comfortable to meet first before they put her under just so they can explain everything in detail to you. i will bump ya. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If the doc has the credentials I would trust him. He may not have the greatest bedside manner but is that what you are seeing him for or are you seeing him for his talents as a surgeon?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• as a general rule Doctors want their own assessment findings.... if he did the wrong course of treatment b/c the original test was not done correct who would you take to court? Its a HUGE liability to take someone elses word for their assessment

on the simple level its the same reason why when you go into the Er say for a cold first the triage Nurse listens to you then the secondary nurse a and then the doctor too... and if the treatment nurse is different you might get listened to AGAIN ..In a court of law I want to stand on my own assessment not someone elses
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• from my experience w/ repeated procedures, good creditials doesnt even begin to compare to agree'ing to put your child under anesthetics just to be examined..when the examinations from everyone else are on file. Thats what i am wondering.. is it just routine... or do i keep asking them why why why and make them listen to me.
    mohme2three

Comment by mohme2three (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I understand your concern, it is a pain for both of you to keep going through this( under statement I know). Yes there is a BUT.. This new Dr can sit and talk with you first but that will only delay care. Until he "sees" what is going on now, he will not be able to give you an accurate assessment of the issue. Things can change in a matter of a few months. It is best he have all the current work up before sitting down with you. This way you will be able to go forth with the current plan of care. Stay strong mom...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• MELRN.. that is very true & thanks for pointing it out that way.. it does make sense in a way... its just hard for me to swallow when 4 others have pictures and the results have always been the same..
    mohme2three

Comment by mohme2three (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You could "insist" on the Dr using previous it is your right as the parent but 2 things might happen 1 he may refuse to further see/treat you OR he may ask you to sign a release of liability....??? In what you posted I'm not sure what I'd personally try?? I do understand your stress in putting your kid thru this and the fact that her diagnosis was missed for sooo long is a good case you have against the hospital where you delivered AND the pediatrician... how sad for your baby HUGGS MOM no one should have to go thru all this
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2010