ronald mcdonald house.. ever been?

i am getting ready to travel and need somewhere to stay for a good two weeks for my daughters crazy health schedule that is set up.. they are different days throughout the month.. so they arent all in a row.. i plan on getting a hotel.. but someone mentioned trying to ronald mcdonald house... anyone ever stayed there??.. is it meant for certain income families... i should know what this is, but all i know its a place families stay when their child is in the hospital.. i dont know the rules or prices..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I stayed there with my sister and my nephew. His doctor set it up for us to stay while he was having test run at St. Jude. We were there before they moved us to the Target House...ask her doctor.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 8:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Its a great place to stay -- I was there when my twins were born premature, when I had to be close to the hospital because I kept going into premature labor and when my twins had specialist doctor visits and surgery. Its absolutely free, including food, daily meals prepared, and even laundry soap in the laundry room. All you need to bring with you is clothes and anything special you require. They even have cribs available for babies.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think the child needs to be permanently in the hospital to stay there. I am not positive though. My SIL stayed there when her newborn was in the NICU at a hospital 3 hours away. I think she stayed free. You should call the hospital you are going to and see if they can give you any information.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You need to be referred by the doctor, but that is the only requirement. It is not based on income, only need. You can give donations to help provide the service, but its not required.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I was very impressed -- they even had breastpumps available for breastfeeding mothers and a special fridge to store breastmilk in to take to NICU. And it is not just for babies born premature, any age children, and I know of a woman who was there because her husband was in the hospital since they had the available room for her at the time.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i stayed when i was little and my sister was sick...i dont remember alot other than i thought it was cool because they had a place for kids to play and there was a community kitchen where we could cook real meals...im not sure if there is an income limit or not. when i stayed my dad made around $30,000 for a family of 4 (this was in the 80s, so thats more like $40,000 or so now). im pretty sure we didnt pay for it at all. try googling it, im sure the website has lots of info.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I do know that some places if they have room will charge a small fee if you don't meet the income requirements, like $20. I would call the specific house and ask them, it would be your best bet.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I stayed one time for a week because my ex best friends little girl was in NICU with Rsv.We didn't want her to get used to anyone besides us feeding her. It was great they provided a free place to stay. This one was right in the hospital so it was really easy to get to. And the dr referred us.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 1:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010