S/O Reading the Bible...

Anyone else notice an interesting pattern of responses to the "Have you read the entire bible" question?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 8:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That the majority who have read it tend to not be Christians? Is that what you mean?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• or just that the non-xtians that typically answer in this section say they have read it? i could say i've met BO & MO..doesn't mean i have, or that anyone believes me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I don't think its necessarily how much of the Bible someone reads that is the issue though, but instead how one interprets and understands what they're reading. A lot of the time people who reject the Bible are just as guilty of literalism and absolutism as the fundamentalist believers are. When read in a less rigid way - indeed, the way its intended to be read - a lot of the issues people have with it are revealed to really be beside the point. Anyway, though, I think HOW one reads it has a much bigger influence on how one reacts to it, rather than just being whether one has read it in its entirety or not...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

Just because you lie in answers doesn't mean everyone does
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I'm one of the people who answered that they have read it and of course I have - why lie about something like that? And, in case you're curious, I read a lot of the Bible when I was a pre-teen & teenager, as I was raised in the church. I read it again in college when I took a course on the Bible as literature and history (that will offend some I know).

I guess I qualify as "not a Christian" but I do not reject Jesus Christ or any of his teachings. I believe that the major messages in the Bible are from God, but know that a lot of the details people grab onto are the work of men writing and rewriting the Bible over many centuries.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think some forget that many of us non-Christians used to be Christians(some active, some not so much) therefore it makes perfect sense that we've read it or skimmed it or whatever.

Personally, I was a very active and believing Christian so...ya...Ive read it a few times as I said in the other post. I see no reason to lie about something like that and I also think its pretty obvious when someone does lie around here.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• angelI haven't read the entire bible. Have you read the whole bible? My so and I are just now reading it together. We love it! We have really good conversations about different books of the bible.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I'm always surprised at Christians' surprise over non-Christians knowing so much about the religion and Bible. I started reading the Bible because I had a deep desire to understand and assuage serious doubts. It just so happens that reading the Bible propelled me towards learning about other paths in order to find what hit home for me. I can only assume that many other non-Christians have had the same experience. I don't get why anyone would lie about it. What would be the point in that?
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• was i suppose to be surprised that Atheists and other non-Christians have read the Bible? most intelligent ppl want to know what something says before they disagree with it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yup and I have seen this before in past when people have asked this question that many who have read it used to be believers....
    Just now you have forgotten who you are in Him... it is what causes people to walk away from God. They forget or were never taught to know who they are in Christ Jesus.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2010