Am I wrong about this?

I was out with my husband at the store. We had stopped by the bathrooms to use the water fountain to make a bottle for the baby whereupon our three year old decides that she just has to use the potty right now and promptly marches off to the ladies room. Instead of dropping what I'm doing I finish making the bottle then follow her in to check up on her. When we came out my husband confesses that this upset him greatly, that I didn't immediately go in with her. He doesn't feel its good for her to be alone in the ladies room.
I tried explaining to him that since I don't drive it's often just me, both kids and the tandem stroller, which might I add is not only huge but a bear to get through most grocery store bathrooms. In the interest of taking care of both kids I will typically help Em get in and make sure her door is shut. I then go back out with the baby, this means he's alone for perhaps thirty seconds, then periodically open the door to ask her if she's done. Em has a need to be in control on the potty and I am not ready to force her and say you're finished so she'll sometimes take five to ten minutes in the potty and I just ask after her pretty frequently. When she's done I ask her if she needs help, if she does I quickly go in and we take care of it and if not she comes out to me and I give her magic soap.
I just wonder, am I wrong about this?Is there a better way to handle this problem, it's not going to go away anytime soon. I explained it to my husband and he only sort of gets it. So to the masses, what do you think?

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 8:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I get what you are saying, but I would not let a 3 year old go to the restroom alone, too many sick people in our world.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i wouldn't leave my kid in the hall (but i couldn't quite understand if that's what you did)...past that seems fine to me. but everyone has their own way
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I am with your husband on this one. It only take one pervert 30 seconds to snatch up and/or abuse your child. Sorry, but it's the sad reality of it. If your husband was right there, why didn't you just hand him the bottle and go after your daughter immediately?

Also, am I correct in understanding you leave your baby, in the stroller, outside the ladies room? And then leave your 3yo in there by herself after that? I'm a pretty laidback mom but leaving your children alone is never ok, in my opinion. Please, for the safety of your children, reconsider leaving them alone in public...even if just for a moment.
    Anonymous

• I would never leave my child alone in a public place. Also, when you let her go to the bathroom, and "you go back out with the baby," who is with the baby while you are in the bathroom with the 3-year-old? (And if the baby is in there with you, why not stay there until the 3-year-old is done?)

Finally, you make bottles with water fountain water? Do you know what kind of germs and bacteria you are giving your baby? Sorry, but gross.
    Anonymous

• i think this depends on what kind a bathroom we are talking about if your talking about a one person bathroom then i see no problem with you letting her go by herself as long as your right outside the door.but if its a bathroom with several stalls i would go in with her.and i definately wouldn't leave my other baby out in the stroller not even for 30 seconds people are crazy and 30 seconds is plenty of time to snatch a kid.just take the baby out the stroller and leave the stroller outside.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Please tell me you don't leave your baby OR your three-year-old alone in public. And if so, please stop. Tragedies happen daily as there is always some sicko ready to snatch your child. Your husband is right. It is difficult to deal with little ones while out and about, but safety should always come first, no matter what.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would take the stroller in to the bathroom with the three year old. I know it can be a pain to get it in the door and whatnot but I wouldn't leave either child. I would let the 3 year old go into a stall by herself. If it a one person bathroom, which that is what our grocery stores are here, I would be fine then to just stand outside of the door. But if she needed to help, then again I would push the stroller into the bathroom.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• why not wear your baby in say a wrap or bjorn...then its no problemto go with the 3 y/o everywhere
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• With this situation, hubby would get the baby and finish with the bottle, if he doesn't know how to do it..It's time for him to learn. As for being out with both children by yourself, take the baby out of the stroller and take him in with you and your DD.. Both kids are safe... Strollers are a pain in the ass, I prefer the smaller ones that go anywhere :) I also kept as little "stuff" with me in the diaper bag or purse, the rest stayed in the car. Less to lug around that way. Don't feel bad about the water fountain thing, the germs are not in the water they are on the spout. Germs are also everywhere, we really can't get away from them :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Never leave your children alone, & start making a bottle ahead of time at home if you can. I'm sorry, but I'm with your husband on this one.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010