Is it safe to take adderall while breast feeding?

I don't take adderall but I'm curious about it. Has anyone taken it while BFing?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 8:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know as I didn't bf my kids, well I tried the first one but to no avail. I also don't take adderall, but my husband used to. So my gut reaction is NO since it's basically speed. Hence showing and documenting of ID when the scrip gets picked up. Since I think most meds find their way into the breastmilk I'm guessing you just don't want your baby getting speed and so probably it's better to either find something safer or go off the add meds during the time you bf your child. If this can't be done then it might be time to consider other options, I know with this second baby it's precisely the med reason that he's geting formula from the get go.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 8:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I know they say not to take while pregnant or even if you are trying to get pregnant....so, I would guess that you should not take it.
    I was also wondering the same thing! Have you tried to Google it to see what they say? That might help!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It has an L3 rating in thomas hale's book "medications and mother's milk" 2008 edition meaning that it is moderatley safe for breastfeeding. the amount of time it is in the mothers body is 6-8 hours and peaks(highest amount in body) at 1-2 hours. the mother could avoid nursing in the peak hours. it could possibly cause insomnia and reduced weight gain in an infant. definitely i would talk to a dr. if a mother wanted to take it. a pharmacist may more know about the effects. personally i would weigh the importance to the mother of taking the drug and how bad it is needed. check out thomas hale's book...it proves valuable to me all the time.
    BFlady

Answer by BFlady at 9:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010