how to get rid of "binks"

my son just turned 19months and he LOVES his binks. I had it to where he only got it at nap & bed time but he recently started day care and uses it there sometimes during the day, on bad days and hes getting to where he asks for it more at home.

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i took my sons away at six months, but my stepson used one until two. we all just agreed to not give him one cold turkey. they get over it in a couple of days and learn to self-soothe. nothing wrong with them whining for comfort for a little while until they learn how to do it themselves.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• When my son would put his down, I would grab and throw away. He didn't miss it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I used to take care of this little girl who's mommy had died. She was almost two and I really wanted to help her dad get rid of the pacifier. So I came up with a pretty good idea--I cut the middle of the nipple on it so when she went to suck it, it didnt work and ended up just driving her nuts. It was less than 24 hours later and she wanted nothing to do with it, even if you tried to give it to her. Since then, quite a few of my friends have tried my trick and worked for all of them too. Good Luck--let us know how it goes!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My 1st and 4th had pacis, limited to crib only at 12 months. My oldest we went cold turkey with when he turned two - he cried for one night and then never asked for it again. My 4th just lost interest in his on his own around 20 months, we'd had our 5th and he kept trying to shove his paci in the baby's mouth, so we just got rid of it altogether.

Answer by missanc at 10:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Have him throw them in the trash, make it a game.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i waited til my son was a year old, and had him trained without it, but after moving back with my dad, he still thought the baby should have whatever he wants, once he got back on it, i told him the whining had to stop, because he wouldnt go ANYWHERE without it, and he didnt even suck on it, he just wanted it for comfort, so i showed him that i threw it out the window, he asked for a coulpe weeks here and there, but eventually it was a good choice for us.
    bmychallp

Answer by bmychallp at 1:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Well I waited until the dentist told me that her teeth were being molded by the thing. I took them out of the house and threw them in the dumpster at the bakery. All of them. The first night we fell asleep after hours of screaming at 4 am. The second night she woke me up 10 times screaming, and so it goes on and on for about a week. Uggh. It is tough but it can be done.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2010