teenagers

I have a question. I know it is against the law for an adult to date someone under 18. So my questn is what if a 16 and 17 year old are dating. Do they have to break up when the one turns 18 until the other is 18 aslo. Don't get me wrong I don't believe in adults dating "children, but to me this is a little different. Any input?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Umm, I didn't think it was illegal to "date". I thought it became illegal when sexual acts where going on? Am I wrong in this thinking? And different states have different laws about age of consent where that is concerned. Some states it is 16 while some are 18.
    Anonymous

• It depends on each state, and its not the dating its the sex. our state (MT) legal age is 16(too young i think) and there is no age gap law.

I see nothing wrong with 17/18 , but I still wouldn't want my 17 yr old daughter having sex lol no matter the age of the other party
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I don't think that should be a problem. I mean, especially if they have been together for a year or so, it's only going to be a little while until the other is 18. I think with the correct parental supervision, it shouldn't be a problem.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• They don't have to break up. It more or less depends on if the parents are the ones who would press charges. The one who is 18 needs to realize he/she is puting himself in danger if the other parents, or younger SO would press charges, especially if they break up.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 9:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• out here it is 14yrs old which think is to young
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• If they are close in age then I don't have a problem with it.  My dd just turned 18 last week and her boyfriend won't be 18 until March.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I may be wrong but in my state you cant place statutory rape charges on some one if there is less than three years age difference in the couple involved. so the 16-18 wouldnt be an issue.... i think its wrong for parents to get upset and file those kinds of charges, typically those age ranges are in school together, have classes together and interact constantly...now high school-college age is much different!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It is different from state to state but most do something like they have to be a leat 2 or 3 years apart to get in trouble. In Fl, it is ok if the ages are between 16 and 21
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Some states have an age range...like 16-19 is okay...stuff like that. You would have to check in your state.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2010