Rash on Newborn's Neck

There is a small flat red rash on my five week old's neck--right on her hairline. I have a pediatrician appt on Monday, but I wanted to know if anyone had any input. I wonder if it was an allergy to something on my/DH's hand because it's where our hand often goes when we hold her. Gah--what could have caused this? We use Dreft detergent. I'm even starting to think it might be a birthmark that we just didn't notice. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it flat? Does it change? It could be a strawberry...like a birthmark....those are pretty common on the neck area. Me and my dd have one in the exact same spot close to our hairline...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Hm, it could be a birthmark, or it could just be irritated from being touched there. Is is where the collar of her shirt would rub? DH used to always get irritated there from his clothes. Try switching hand soaps and lotions to a non scented, no dye, just to rule that out.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It might be a stork-bite, which has to do with broken capillaries. Completely harmless, if that's what it is. My son had it in the same spot when he was a newborn and now at 7 mos. it is almost completely gone. We thought it was a rash too.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• For on, Dreft is one of the worst detergents you could possibly use - it is loaded with horrible fillers, the scent, it is really caustic to clothes, and not good for babies' skin. Switch to a free & clear detergent - any brand should be fine. Second - if you use any lotions or creams or put perfume on your wrists or anything, yes, it could be an allergic reaction. It could be an article of clothing or a blanket rubbing right there, it could be because of the weather, it could be a birthmark starting to show up (some of them don't show til babies are older), it could be a bit of excema. There are a number of things it could be. If it's not bothering her, take a chill pill til the doctor's appointment.
    Anonymous

• My son has that too, I have seen it on several other babies before as well.
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 11:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010