twins?

Is it possible to carry healthy twins without the doctor hearing two heartbeats or seeing two babies on an ultrasound? My friend has twins running on her side and the father's side and she absolutely HUGE, but her doc only hears one heartbeat and the ultrasound shows just one baby. Any ladies have twins but were under the assumption they were having only one?

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If the dr only hears one heartbeat and only sees one baby on the ultrasound, she is most likely not caring twins. The father's side of the family doesn't really matter when it comes to getting pregnant with multiples.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Twins run alot in her family too, and we heard it was possible for one to hide behind the other one so was just curious. Twins are great but I think one baby is enough to handle at a time!
    dez1379

Comment by dez1379 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I have twins and it was picked up on 6weeks. I have no twins on my side but my husband's family has plenty. One thing that puzzle me is that if a women gives off two eggs then both will most probably be fertilized and with identical twins the separation of the egg happens inside the womb. How can it come from any partner's side? I think it is just something that happens.
    Dezitwins

Answer by Dezitwins at 9:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Sure I suppose a twin could hide but without hearing another heartbeat I'd say there is only one baby. I had twins and it was picked up in ultrasound immediately around 10 weeks. There are no twins anywhere in either family. Identical twins have not been scientifically explained - no one know why the fertilized egg sometimes splits. Fraternal twins can run in the mothers side but thats just because it is the woman's tendency to release more than one egg at a time. Just cause she's huge doesn't mean its twins, some women gain a lot of weight with a singleton. I only gained 35 lbs with my twins and they were completely healthy.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010