10 month old and a potty chair? Good or bad?

My 10 month old daughter is having a real hard time pooping in her diaper, and it's making her not want to go at all. I thought that if i bought a potty chair and when I saw her grunting and red faced that if I sat her on the potty it might help to not have that diaper on her and her knees closer to her belly! My hubby doesn't think it's a good idea but im not sure. I'm not trying to potty train by any means it's just to see if it will help her poop a little easier without her having to go in a diaper.

lil_shannie

Asked by lil_shannie at 9:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Its never a bad idea to get a child used to using a potty.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I personally don't see the problem with using a potty chair. i know my daughter prefers to be in a sitting position to poop. Santa's bringing her a potty chair for that reason, LOL. She's only 15 months, but I figure if it helps and she like it, why not? if she rejects the idea, then I'll put it away...someday she'll use it regardless
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 9:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Sounds like she is constapated. A potty chair won't help this. Try a little prune juice or prue puree. You can also give a little Karo syrup in water to help her go. If this continues to be a problem, I would ask her pedi. Is she breast or formula fed. My son has this problem...i nursed and FF. I changed the formula brand and no more problems going potty.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My daughter had pooping problems at that age too, and you know what worked great is putting her in a warm bath. She'd poop effortlessly. Then you have clean up duty but well worth it IMO not to watch my little one struggle to make #2.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Potty chairs do not help with constipation. Deal with the constipation. Prune juice is wonderful. Ask the doctor for other tips. A 10-month-old will not know to poop on a potty. She just won't get it, and she will still have a hard time pushing it out.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Every child is different some can leave the diapers until they are 4 others just don't like the diapers my daughter stop using diapers by the time she was 1yr and 2months old she just did not like them maybe yours could be potty trained by 1. Even when is not your intention to start the potty training if she feels uncomfortable going on the diapers the chair can help her.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think the potty chair might freak her out - she is really young for it. It does sound like she's constipated - some babies are just that way (and adults too!) You could use prune juice or pear juice & water. Whenever my son got constipated, I gave him spoonfuls of mango nectar - that always did the trick.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My first instinct was it's too early... but after reading why you feel it might help I don't see why not. It's worth a try I would say ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• good earlier u start earlier she will learn.
    naira768

Answer by naira768 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2010