Separating twins in school.

My twin boys are starting Gr.0 or as we call it in SA Gr.R,next year. The principal suggested that their classes are separated. The one is very demanding and controls his brother. They are also naughty when together. I think this might be a good idea. She says that they will be put together if it seems that they are not coping. Any feelings about this?

Dezitwins

Asked by Dezitwins at 10:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They can't be together forever.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I know, im just worried. They might not cope. I guess it is a chance i will have to take.
    Dezitwins

Comment by Dezitwins (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I understand. Just talk to them the whole way through. Good luck, and I hope my first answer didn't sound rude.
    Didn't mean to be :)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think it's a great idea. I'm sure they will do fine.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My boys are not twins and they are not in school yet, but they are 13 months apart. They are very close. They are 3 and 4 right now. At church they were in the same class for awhile but the older one moved up. It has been a really good thing. My youngest is really quiet when his brother is around, especially when we are out and not at home. The Sunday school teachers have even commented on the difference. If the one is demanding and controlling of the other it is most likely for the best. Just give it time and encourage them to make new friends. Try to not let them see that you are nervous about it. :)
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If one of your boys is more dominate than the other and tends to boss the other around, it is good to separate them now. Especially if they get in trouble together.

My boys were in separate classrooms starting in 1st grade. We chose not to in Kindergarten because we knew that we would be moving in the middle of the school year. But there were not dependent on each other, did their own thing and even had separate groups of friends. Now they are 21 and one has married and the other is engaged.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It may allow for the less dominant one to grow stronger in himself if separated from his controlling brother. It sounds like a good idea to at least try.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• ohh see, im the complete opposite..i dont have twins..but i would want them together..my daughter has a set of twins in her class..i woulda thought they woudve been split up..considering there are 5 different grade 1 classes..but nope..theyre together!! IF i had twins..id wanna keep them together too!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• @khf22 don't worry,your answer weren't rude :) Thanks for all the replies. They have been together in kindergarten but there were a few problems lately. They were acting up and trying to be funny. Disrupted class and just wouldn't listen. This was a new school though,in the previous one there were no problems.(we relocated) Im gonna give it a shot.
    Dezitwins

Comment by Dezitwins (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Separation is a good thing. It might be difficult at first but easier to do now than later!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010