Allergies or Asthma or something else?

Whenever my sons friend comes over to play, he wreaks of cigarette smoke (mom is a smoker) and I am short of breath for up to 2 days after. He came over today, and left, and I was short of breath, wheezing, cannot fully inhale, coughing, etc.

Because I didn't want to be short of breath/wheezing tomorrow during Mass & Sunday School, I used my kids' nebulizer. Our kids rarely use it, and the dr said the solution lasts forever and the whole family can use it. This was only my second time using it, the first time I was actually sick.

During use, after only the 2nd or 3rd puff, I could actually inhale fully & completely. Now I'm breathing (10 min after using) perfectly fine, like the little boy had never been here today!

Does this mean I have asthma? Or allergies to cigarette smoke? I'll be sure to ask the doc next time I bring one of the kids (or DH or I) in, but I'm wondering what you think...

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 10:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Health

• It could be one or the other or both. Best to ask the doc like you said. I know that the nebulizers work for a variety of things, so its hard to tell just by that.

Does anything else make you feel this way? Or is it just the cigerette smoke? If its just the smoke chances are its an allergy.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Allergies usually respond to antihistaminic but the symptoms I have are not the same as you describe usually is that you find yourself sneezing all the time or getting hives you should go to your doctor sooner than the next kids app because sounds more like an asthma attack if you get another it could get worse.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• The solution for the nebulizer does NOT last forever. There is an expiration date right on the package. I have NEVER had a doctor say that it lasts forever. Instead of using something that can harm you GO TO THE DOCTOR and get evaluated for asthma and allergies and get the proper medication for YOU. Also, you could have BOTH. Cigarette smoke is an allery, asthma and migraine trigger for me. By taking your kids asthma medication, which is a steroid, you could be causing yourself other issues. The asthma meds for the nebulizer has all kinds of side affects. You also may not be getting the correct dosage. Your best bet is to go to the doctor, now before something else happens.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• asthma and allergies go hand in hand.......tell the doctor you symptoms and that the nebulizer helps....smoke effects me the same way. thankfully my daughter dosent have friends come over that reek of ciggerete smoke.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Do you have problems like that any other time? If not it is probably allergy to cig. smoke.If you do have problems like that with/at other times(like running or activities that take your breath away) then its probably asthma.Have you tried an allergie pill (claritin) after you have been around the child??Good luck
    mom4jimbo

Answer by mom4jimbo at 11:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you are having reactions like that I would definitely get checked out. It could be an allergy but who knows?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• first neb solution has an expiration date and is not considered effective after the date printed on the package.
    neb treatements can cause many side effects and are not safe for the entire family to just up and use as they like...
    i would CHANGE DRS NOW...
    but... allergies would respond to taking an allergy pill.... have you tried taking something when you know you will be around the smoke smell? if you haven't i would suggest taking something OTC for allergies before taking another persons prescribed medication.
    asthma... sure, smoke can cause onset of an attack... but there would be other factors as well... other allergies (which sounds like you are unsure of), diet, exercise... they can all cause onset of an attack... cold air, cleaning supplies, perfume.
    i would honestly suggest finding a NEW dr that knows something about medications and how to safely use them... and let them know your symptoms...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• im alergic to smoke and have asthma and when im around smoke i do the same thing
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Get Checked out
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010