My daughter caught a cold or something......Update

My daughter is 2 yrs old, and a real stuffy nose, wet sounding cough, snezzing, the works. I got her crib matteress propped up to maybe helping her breathe easier. Is there any advice I can get? Can I put some baby vicks vapor rub on her? What signs do I need to look out for if ths turns bad? Is it normal for them to run a fever? If so what temp? Oh and in case ya'll couldn't tell I am a new mom...lol.. This is actually the first time since she was a infant she has gotton sick.

What would be considered labored breathing? When she was sleeping last night I watched her breathe it seemed to be a little fast. She breathed thru her mouth and out and her tummy would 'pop' out, and it would be fairly rapid.  It has seened to go into her chest so she is coughing alot, so she isn't sleeping to well.  Not realy eating, drinking a little.  We just about a foot of snow or so it seems, and I can't get my car out of our drive way!  So what kinda stuff is better to drink? I have the V-8 smoothie juice and  I have the Motts for Tots juice, less sugar then the juicy juice. I still am doing half and half. Is there anythjing I can do with helping her and the cough? O don't have a humidifer yet.  I feel like an idiot and helpless. And we now have a damn snow storm, 1st one of the year and now she gets sick. lol    Well I expect nothing less cause I always seem to get sick when it is the most inconvenient time to do so.  So any advise ya'll can give me would be most helpful.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Put regular Vicks on the bottom of her feet then put on clean socks before she goes to bed. Works wonders. Also, run a vaporizer in her room when she sleeps.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If she starts running a fever that won't go down or she has it for more than 2 days, or if she stops drinking, if the cough starts sounding worse, if she starts to have any trouble breathing, call the doctor. If anything just seems off about her, call the doctor.
    Anonymous

• yes you can use the vicks vapor rub, sometimes a humidifier helps too.....yes its normal to have a fever with colds for a toddler....watch her temp....its not uncommon for it to go up to 103.....baby motrin or trylenol usually helps if shes miserable....push fluids and let her rest. If she has fluid in her chest....mucus....if she has trouble breathing,blue lips or just isnt getting better....see the doctor..
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• tylenol......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Vicks on the bottom of her feet?? I never heard of that, what does it do?
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Are you still breast feeding? IF so, let her nurse as much as she wants. Humidifiers are good, as is tylenol or motrin to keep fever down.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I second what KTMOM said. I always let my son nurse as much as he wants when he's sick. He's almost 3, so he wouldn't normally nurse like crazy, but will when he's not feeling well. I also will give my son baths a couple times a day. The steam helps break up the congestion. Don't worry too much. It's normal for kids to get sick and builds their immune systems.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Humidifiers, tylenold, BABY vicks on bottom of feet w/ socks, if she is nursing let her nurse as much as she wants
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The Vicks on teh bottom of the feet helps open airways but doesn't have the vapors right in the face. My son's pedi said to use the regular Vicks on the feet or the baby Vicks on the chest. But I found that the Vicks on the feet works better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I never noticed a difference with vicks on the feet
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2010