Advice Please.....

So I just got home from work, I went to check on my kids just cause their doors were left cracked tonight. When I went into my 18 month old son's room I thought he was awake, his eyes were wide open, but when I walked into the room he didn't jump up like he always does when he hears a noise, for whatever reason I thought the worst...I practically ran over there and put my hand on his chest to make sure he was still breathing, when I did he grabbed my arm and kinda just held it tight and closed his eyes and went right on sleeping.....It is by far the wierdest thing I have ever seen....I dont know if I should be worried about him or not....He has been on some meds the past few days...an antibiotic for fluid in his ears....and another for congestion that the dr. prescribed.....I dont know if I am overreacting or not here maybe someone can calm me down some with some words of advice on the matter....thanks

mylady13135

Asked by mylady13135 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is a little older but sometimes his eyes will not shut when he is sleeping, and sometimes he falls asleep holding on to my arm too - just kind of depends on his mood. i would not worry about it, especially if he has been fighting illness.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't be too worried. Sometimes kids just need a little reassurance. If he starts doing this regularly, I'd probably call in to see if something is up. You can also check the side effects to his meds to see if they would cause anything like this. But I'd guess it was just an odd moment.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• For some reason when I read this the first time, I thought it said 18 YEAR old son... ANYWAY!

Maybe the meds are knocking him out. I would call the doctor ASAP. The on-call doc should get back to you. I am a worrier too and even though he is probably just in a deep sleep, I would rather be safe than sorry and run it by his pediatrician.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• aahhh the eyes open yet child is alseep, we went through that along with night terrors from meds.. worst time I had... meds tend to knock them out is what I was told and it can be natural for some to sleep with eyes open, spooky I know my child still does it, and so does his grandfather.. lol
    jadeyazi

Answer by jadeyazi at 10:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Some kids sleep with their eyes open. Weird, I know, but it happens and it can freak you out if you aren't used to it. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he's doing alright if you are worried.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2010