Does anyone that has special needs kids also have pets and the kid throws the animals out windows,kick it or bite the animal

mommalovesfour

Asked by mommalovesfour at 10:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter has aspergers and we also have a dog.....she has never done any of the things you have described.....nor would I allow it to happen....small children and animals must be supervised at all times......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If I had a child that did that, I'd find the animal a new home. My son does have autism and he used to try to be violent when he was younger. We never let him with the animal alone and when he tried, we would tell him 'no'. He learned. But if he hadn't, I would have found m dog another home
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My therapy dog works with children and we have seen some of these behaviors. I have also helped other parents purchase and train pets for special needs children. My advice is the same, 100 % supervision with that child and the animal. Make sure the animal has a special confined area of its own, with a padlock if needed.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• That's really terrible. You might need to find your pet a new home, quickly.
    Jellybean82

Answer by Jellybean82 at 3:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son has aspergers, we have 2 cats. If he were to treat the cats in such a mean hurtful way I would find the cats a new safer home ASAP!! I would not allow any animal to be mistreated like that.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Find your pets a new home before your son ends up seriously hurting them or even worse killing them.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• NO. If I had a child with issues like that, I would be absolutely sure that the animals were NEVER left with them, and would be extra diligent at all times. As it is, even with typical children, I am still ultra diligent so my pets are never mistreated by anyone. If that cannot be achieved for whatever reason, animals should not be in the home. JMHO.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2010