Why would you tell someone to go off themself?

I've seen this way to many times on here when you see a depressed mommy writing a thing out talking about maybe killing herself and there are always a few people always saying "well go do it" or "want my knife/gun?"
Okay maybe some of them are fake and trolls but you don't know which one's are. Why sit there and tell a emotional person that's so low right now to kill themselves?
Have some compassion people! If you think it's fake don't say anything. Or bite your tongue and just say something encouraging. You never know if they might take your advise. They come here for help not to have people tell them to go kill themselves.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yea it seems as some people use this site for the wrong reasons. You should never encourage someone to do something so horrible. I think it makes people feel better about themselves to bash someone else. Makes you wish that more people lived by the if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all rule. Just ignore the question, it's not worth fighting with people on here. The world is too diverse just get over it!
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• OP had mentioned she hated her Autistic 6yo son, wanted him taken away, felt the boy was an a-hole and wanted out of it and that her life just sucks and the kid sucked even worse. I agree the person shouldn't have maybe said it, but I can understand the reaction and feel the question by the OP was more offensive than this person's reaction to it.

***
    I agree with Zoey!! As the mother of TWO autistic sons, while we've certainly had our frustrating moments, we have had MANY uplifting and positives moments as well, and even at my lowest, would NEVER consider SAYING let alone POSTING anything as cruel as what the OP in the thread Zoey mentioned did. I've met MANY moms in deep denial about the whole thing, are more worried about what their neighbors will think of them having a special needs kid, and their "social standing!" The woman needs PROFESSIONAL help in HER community, not ONLINE! Could have been a troll.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I didn't see the post you refer to OP but you're right for someone to make such remarks is cruel but seriously the poster of that Q is dispicable for talking of her child like that! She needs help not to be posting in internet forums..and if shes telling the truth then her son probably should be taken and placed in a good home.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I havent seen those posts but I totally agree with you
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would never and could never encourage someone to commit suicide. I lost my brother to suicide so it's not something I even joke around about. How the hell would they feel knowing that the person actually did go through with it after spewing such harsh words towards them. It's mostly dumbass anonymous people who say such things.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We are here to help each other try to give good advice. Wrong and hateful!

They should report that answer.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Wow, I must be reading the wrong questions. I have never read a post where I thought someone might actually want to kill themselves much less someone telling them to. I'd never suggest someone off themselves either. This can be a rough debate section but not that rough.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It's called clinical depression. It is a mental illness, and people DO kill themselves. I would imagine there are some people crying out for attention, especially online, but I would hate to take the chance with a cavalier answer and then find out the person was really ill and killed themselves. I think it should be taken seriously.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Most don't believe that is a real post so that's why they were giving her hell. You have to realize there are plenty of Trolls here
    just posting to make drama.

I don't know how many have dealt with a highly autistic child, but having worked with them during college, I can say the frustration level can become nearly unbearable. You have to be able on occasion to really control yourself. She may have been venting as well and she should have been supported rather than slammed.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Oh my....I haven't seen that yet but I would not be surprised. There are some mean people posting here. DO you think the Cafe Mom administrators should be notified? ANd would they do anything about it?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010