cleaning very old wood trim

i just started a job cleaning house for some very rich very very anal people. they have 100 year old woodwork all throughout the house, floor and crown molding, banisters, etc. my 'boss' said he doesnt want me using pledge or anything to clean the wood because there are dings in the wood that someday they might refinish and they dont want any waxy buildup to get in the dings. he wants me to just use water. the house is enormous, and using just water to clean all of that woodwork would take months. does anyone know of any safe and faster way to clean regular grease/oil/smudges off the wood without any buildup, change in finish, or damage? help!

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 11:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• murphy's oil soap.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Murphys Oil Soap. It is made specifically for cleaning wood.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• all he will hear is oil. oh and i read a couple of things that say that it might 'cloud' the finish. he actually had me get down on hands and knees to check and see if this one kind of cleaner i had changed the sheen of the floor. we're talking anal retentive!
    disheveled

Comment by disheveled (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Be careful about Murphy's Oil. I used it to clean an older china cabinet and made it look awful. I think it depends on what kind of finish is on the wood. It was not a good thing for my cabinet. What did the people who used to clean the woodwork in that house use? My sister uses Simple Green on all of her woodwork and then wipes it dry after.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 11:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• nothing you do, say or show him will make a difference. Water on old woodwork is a nono - especially if it has dings - water swells the wood

Dry micro fiber cloth and time - best solution.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• water and vinegar mix might work, water wont hurt the wood as long as you dont saturate it
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 9:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• look for a new job! im sorry u have to go thru this and good luck in finding something 'suitable' for the cleaning
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2010