Airplane with 3 mos old

I took my son on a plane when he was a year and he was a little fussy, any ideas on what to expect with such a young baby? Any advice?

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have always flown with my little ones way before 3 months. The earliest being 3 weeks old. I just breastfed and she did awesome, we flew 8 times during her first year. I think any time before the year mark they are awesome to fly with. Easy to keep happy, easy to entertain, just easy. I always wore them on my chest in case of turbulence or if I needed to sleep I could relax a little bit more. I can't say I would every buy as eat for a little one under 2. We have never had the extra money. The odds of being in a fatal plane crash are like 1 in 5 1/2 million so in this case I am okay with that that decision.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• the first flight we went on with my son was when he was 2 months old. he did great.
    i dont know what the girl above me is talking about...all of the people i know have traveled with their children as young as a few weeks old and older.
    during take off and landing i breast fed him. having them nurse helps with their ears because the sucking helps their ears pop. he slept the majority of the way but honestly it was very easy traveling with him.
    he is now almost three and has flown more than most adults and he LOVES flying
    DelaneyD

Answer by DelaneyD at 11:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• have him suck on something, wether it is a bottle or pacifier. tylenol is sometimes a good thing, because the air pressure changes thier little ears could hurt.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i flew with my oldest when she was 2 months and she did great. i nursed during take off and landing and she slept while in the air, we also flew when she was 4 months and she did just as good, i wore her in a harness while boarding and such and just gate checked my stroller. of course things might have changed rule wise (this was back in 2004)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 5:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• wow...the only ones who got down votes are the ones telling you that DOCTORS and ABC NEWS said it is either unsafe or you should take extra precautions...
    And Melborni, those odds only apply if you're taking one of the BEST airlines out there, which a lot of people CAN'T AFFORD these days. The REAL ODDS can be as LOW as 1 in 159,119...a lot less than 5 1/2 million.
    My honest opinion is that its not worth the risk to me to take my daughters on an airplane at such a young age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It's not so much being in a crash that they need to be in a carseat it's turbulence. The baby could fly out of your arms and become injured. Having said that I just hold my baby when we fly, too. I nurse during takeoff and landing/descent. I personally wouldn't fly before my baby had the first round of shots. Airplanes are too much of a closed environment for my comfort.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• no it is not really a good idea...as the babies are more prone to get infected in a close chamber like planes...i travelled with my 15 days old baby and i really had it.may god bless all kids incl mine...ameen
    naira768

Answer by naira768 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I never flew with my daughter that young, the airport stopped me. They are actually "supposed" to stop anyone from boarding with a child under the age of 3 months and when I asked my pediatrician about it, those are the reasons she gave me (the ear popping thing)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• they just did a thing on the news about having babies on airplanes that the new suggestion is to put them in a carseat in a seat, because if you have them your lap during a crash you could crush them...

something to think about

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/holiday-travel-goverment-babies-buckled-airplanes/story?id=12355979
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I wouldnt do it. 3 months is the minimum age a baby has to be before they will let you bring him/her on board an airplane because when the plane goes up and everyones ears pop, it can burst a babies ear drums. Being as your baby is right at that line, i wouldn't want to risk it.
    As for what to expect though...you can probably expect a fussy baby because of the pressure on their ears.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2010