How to stay motivated to save money?

I have a problem with spending my money. I need a way to motivate myself to save some every month for emergencies and other reasons. I find the biggest areas I have problems with is taxi's and take out. I don't like cooking everyday and it's cold to walk places sometimes. And just in general, how can I keep to my goal and be motivated to save every month.

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 11:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are you saving for something? Get pictures of it and hang them around you. If you don't feel like cooking every night then once in a while prepare and freeze meals. I hate cooking every night also, but with a finace and two kids I don't have a choice!! Do you have a bus in the area? those are generally cheaper, or bumb rides with friends or neighbors!
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Each bus ride costs 2 bucks. It can eventually get costly.
    ChildGoddess

Comment by ChildGoddess (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Geez. You just need to grow up! What is best for your family is healthy, home cooked meals; and saving money for college for the kids and your retirement.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You have to keep your long term goals in mind and ignore that short term urge to spend.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Is a bus pass an option? If you can, try to put 10% of your income into a savings account each time you get paid. Pay yourself first! Lower your cell phone plan to fewer minutes. Only drink water. When you get take out, only eat half and save the rest for another meal. Save on energy by using lights less, keep the the heat at a lower setting, and use less water. I hope these ideas might help. GL
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I just realized I didn't answer your question at all, sorry. Try to stay motivated by placing pictures of things you want, but can't afford, around your house. When you see them, it will remind you of your goals.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I hear ya! I love a daily Starbucks! The best thing that I have found is to not use cash. I hate using my debit cards, so that usually motivates me NOT to spend. As far as the bus, I would hate walking in the cold too. Can you find someone to car pool with? Is there a bus pass you can look into getting? Have you checked into free public transportation? I think the best motivation for you is to try to limit yourself to a daily set amount of money, such as $10.00. You motivation is to try to have something left of that $10.00 at the end of the day... even if it's .50! See how far you can stretch that money!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Fear is a huge motivation for me. Like what if my husband got laid off how would we survive? Or what if our son got sick, how would we pay the deductibles? Things like that might help motivate you to get your emergency fund in place.

For other savings- set a goal and a deadline and an amount limit. I want a vacation in 2012 and I'll need $5000. Well there you have it. Start putting $300 a month away and viola you'll have your money for a vacation summer of 2012. Pictures help. But so do set amounts and dates for when you'll finally have that thing that you want.

Good luck! =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Well first off don't have money available to spend. Second off have a picture of your children and husband because you would loose them if you were out on the street.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2010