Do you agree that being a Working Mom is harder...depending on the job that the Mom does?

I think it does. I mean, if you work behind a desk all day then that is easier than say being a nursing assistant (which is what I do, which entails lifting patients who are 200lbs and toileting them, cleaning up poop, pee, and vomit all day). I assure you that Mom's that work don't always find their time at work an escape from their children...especially not when their work entails them to take care of elderly people who act like children. I am not saying that SAHM's don't have it hard, but I think that working Mom's need to get more credit than some Mom's on here give them. Working and caring for a family is HARD work, no matter your proffesion.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, pumping every two hours to feed my LO, I come home make dinner clean up and get my kids baths before my SO gets home. He does do the dishes but let me tell you it was much easier the 6 weeks of maternity leave when I was at home with both kids. Plus the emotional pull it has being away from your newborn, I feel like a horrible mom for not taking care of her!
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think both roles can be challenging. WIth that said, I have worked at a very physical job for 27 yrs, doing the same thing. I tried to get up off of dd's floor the other night cause I was watching a movie with her and everything ached. Every square inch of me didnt want to get up off that floor. I am a single parent for 7 yrs now, I have changed over time, Im not the same person with all that energy I once was. Getting old sucks!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I am a SAHM and I can honestly say I don't know how working moms do it! When do you find the time to do all of the cleaning, cooking, laundry? I stay busy all day long taking care of my DS and and keeping up with all of the house chores and I am exhausted at the end of the day, I can't imagine if I had to work all day and then come home and try to get all of that done AND still spend time with my children and husband!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It depends on your personality and your situation, but for me working was WAY harder than being a SAHM, and I haven't even tried juggling work and motherhood yet (that starts next year). My hours as a SAHM are worse now, but I've also never had a job where I can just lie on the floor for chunks of the day when I'm really tired. I get to spend my days now at the park or zoo rather than dealing with the lightning paced, high pressure, challenging situations that I used to get paid for dealing with. Yeah... I've got it good now, and I'm really grateful that I can take this time "off" to focus on being a mom. Things will get a lot harder when I'm working AND trying to figure out how to be a good mom and wife. So I really admire women who can raise happy healthy kids while working full time.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i think being a mother in general is hard
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 1:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I've done both and I think both have their challenges. I personally find being a working mom to be much harder than being a stay at home mom. However I think it's worth it since I can provide my children with a better quality of life, while also advancing my career and my earning potential. I'll be able to make a lot more money over my lifetime and hopefully be able to support myself in my old age and not put that burden on my children.

For the person who asked how working moms find time to do it all- we don't. My husband helps a ton, and even my kids have chores. And we prioritize- some things just don't get done very often.
    Jellybean82

Answer by Jellybean82 at 2:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I am a single working mom of one and everything gets done in its own time. if the floor dont get mopped for a week its not going any place. My son on the other hand will grow up so I would rather spend time with him. Its all in making it work.
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 5:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have been both, and can honestly say, I have never and will never lose a bit of sleep over what some other judgemental person thinks of me and my life.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2010