How do you make time for your older children?

I have a 3 mo old DD and a 5 year old. I sometimes feel like he is being left behind. I love him dearly but my DD is taking up so much time and effort. I feel to drained to get down on the floor and play with him like I used to. How do you juggle time?

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd try a big kid activity special JUST for your 5 y/o. A swim class perhaps or a sledding adventure. Try to arrange an occasional "date night" too. I am taking my son alone to see Yogi Bear movie in a few weeks (taking me a few weeks to arrange a sitter for his little sister!) but we're both looking forward to some alone together time
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I'll leave our 1 year old at home with hubby and take our 3 year old to the store with me to get groceries and she gets to pick out something special just for her, and she eats/drinks it on the way home so she doesn't have to share with sissy.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Sometimes I just have to "steal" moments. Today DH took the younger 2 skiing and I had my 12 yr old home with me. We went to synagogue and then just hung out. He likes brain teasers, so we did those, played on the Wii. It was nice because we don't get to be just us very often anymore. It's easier to do stuff with DD because, well, she likes the same stuff I do. I can take her on a shopping errand and she doesn't complain. Right now DS2 is probably the one lacking my time the most.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I had the same issue when my second was born. I'd have her come up on the bed with me and while I was breastfeeding I'd read to her, or play facebook games with her. We'd watch a lot of movies together and eat junk food. I had one of those food trays and I'd put it on the bed and we'd color silly pictures. I had her help me out with household chores when baby was sleeping (holding the dust pan for me, putting away silverware, ripping off sheets of papertowel, etc). Any little time together they love, it doesn't have to be something extravagant. I didn't have my hubby at the time either as he was away finishing school.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We started doing "date nights" with our kids. We have it scheduled on the calendar. Every weekend we do one date and we alternate between my dh and I and the 3 kids. If you're married, then the 2 of you should just take turns taking him out while the other one watches the baby. Even if it's just for an hour to the park, that would be very special to your son. If you're not married, then you could try to find a baby sitter once a month or so to watch your dd while you take your ds somewhere special.
    On a daily basis, you just have to look for moments throughout the day to spend with him. Anytime your dd is sleeping and your ds is awake, use that as an opportunity to play a board game or wrestle on the floor. Believe me, just those small moments will make a huge difference to him. The housework can wait, spend time with your son.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 3:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2010