How do I tell my boss I am pregnant? I am already being discriminated against since the rumors have been flying. I need a few things to change as well like the litter box to be removed and i can no longer lift 17lb-up . Since the boss is buddies with co-workers should i just go to her boss first? I feel she won't do anything for the harrassment.

Boss, pregnancy , harrassment, discrimination

GoldieLocks18

Asked by GoldieLocks18 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Should I write a formal letter as well to address my requests and reassure her that I will continue my duties until I no longer can perform due to the pregnancy in which i will take a leave of absence.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 2:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• as far as i know they cant discriminate you for being pregnant...thats a lawsuit if they do GL
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 2:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yeah they can't do that. But they will if you let them. I would talk to HR and then corporate if nothing is handled. Discrimination is serious. They will not any part in that, trust me.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 5:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• The sad thing is that they can't actually discriminate against you but they can find a reason to get rid of you. My job started acting sorta shady towards me when I got pregnant and then I had a bad hemmoraging issue at 8 weeks because I was lifting too much. They put me on a weight restriction. There were other jobs I could do and there were openings but they said that I didn't meet the lifting requirements. Now if they are firing you because you are pregnant that is discrimination but if they word it just right they can let you go. I personally would talk to your boss but also have a letter prepared to go to her boss.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• they can't discriminate you because your pregnant, i had to leave after 4 months of being pregnant, they fired me because i was a "liability" for passing out at work.... course they did everything they could to not have me sue them to hell and back also. but i would tell your bosses boss and write a letter, get a doctors note too, just to cover all grounds and that way if your doc says you cant lift over 17lbs then they cant say anything
    enjen

Answer by enjen at 6:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I would definatly write a letter and send it usps certified and send your self the same one and dont open it. thats proves you sent them and the date
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I would have your doctor write a note stating any restrictions/accommodations (or lack thereof) then it becomes an FMLA issue if they try to get rid of you. Also, do you really need the litter box removed? It's just that you can't clean it out, right? Your best bet is to make as little fuss as possible at work so they won't be motivated to try and get rid of you.
    libraterra

Answer by libraterra at 11:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Im not in a coroporate company. I work at a vets office who is managed and owned by one of the doctors. Thank you ladies.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Ask your boss for a meeting. Plan what you are going to say. Then give her a letter detailing what you are committed to do and listing the duties you need amended until you are able.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 5:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2008