I need help with my 11 yr. old son.

I was a single mom for a  long time and then I met this wonderful man we feel in love and got married and I thought that that would take some of the work off of me when it came to raising my two kids. I was wrong. My 13 yr. old and my 11 yr. old are like night and day. For the most part they are well behaved and manerable kids. for everyone else that is. Then throw me into the mix and all h*** breaks lose. My son does nothing but lie to me and don't care about anything. I have taken everything away from him and he still continues to disrespect me and I don't know what to do any more. I love him so much but I am to the point that I don't like him and I feel like the worst mother in the world because of it. I need some advice help or just to know that I'm not the only one. I want to figure out how to be a better parent I guess and learn how to deal with a son who cares about nothing. I mean he has no TV, game stations, and I mean serously  its to the point that all he has in his room is a mattress on the floor and his dresser. Most kids care about playing games and watching tv not mine. Spanking , grounding and taking everything away from him has done me no good. I am ready to have a nervous break down and I'm scared.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Would you consider some family counseling? When my mom got remarried I was about 12 yrs old. I hate the situation. My poor mom had to deal with my frustration cause mixed families are often hard to deal with. Hang on there ! I will pray for you.
    Mamitaocupada

Answer by Mamitaocupada at 12:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree with Manitaocupada mixed families can be hard on kids. I'm just wondering, how is the relationship between your son and dh? In my experience a bad relationship between a ss and sf can cause serious behavioral issues. My son's have done 180's in the past couple of yrs due to the relationship between my dh and them. Family Counseling would be good and I would take a good look at your dh and son's interaction. CAUSE AND EFFECT
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 4:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• First, he is too old to be spanked. Second, I agree with the others, family counseling is in order. Including your husband. You going from a single parent to being married, is a big adjustment for the kids and your son may be having a more difficult time dealing with it. Look at how your husband interacts with him. Look at how you react when your husband tries to discipline or take control of a situation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• spanking doesn't work anyway and I can't believe you spanked an 11 yr old. did you ever ask the boys if they wanted you to get married? maybe he's trying to tell you something. So stop punishing the boy and start listening to him. Kids act out for a reason.
    Anonymous