Presidential Inauguration - Safe to take the kids?

My husband is considering taking my girls ages 6 & 4 to Washington to witness the inauguration in January. While I agree this is historical and would love to have them look back someday and say "wow, I was there", I just don't know if the mother in me can let them go. There will be thousands people there and some may be crazy people out to get the new president. My husband is thinking of taking them by himself or with one other adult. I just don't know....

Please tell me what you think!

momof2girls05

Asked by momof2girls05 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think you have all the right in the world to be concerned. DC, like any big city, is a SCARY place sometimes, no matter what day it is! I think the last time I was there was in 2004 with my ROTC company. People were trying to pickpocket us and ask for money while we were marching in UNIFORM! Crazy.

But on the other hand, DC is also one of the safest cities in the world. It's constantly under surveillance and I'm sure the police force is top-notch. I think it'll be very safe on inauguration day, there will be FBI and CIA everywhere looking for people who want to hurt others.

In the end, it's all up to you. I personally would let them go, they'll never have another chance like this and you might end up thinking "What if?" for a long time. But it's your decision to make, not mine =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• He is their father, and I seriously doubt he would let, allow, or even entertain putting them in harms way. The fact that he believes that they are mature enougth to understand, shows his thoughtfullness and insight.
    Star419

Answer by Star419 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think they'll be perfectly fine with him....How would you feel if the shoe were on the other foot and you were taking them? Don't under estimate him caring for them.....that could back fire on you.
    I think it's a good idea.....children need to see and witness positive things. However I would talk to them and make sue they know to saty close to dad at all times.
    kkgrls

Answer by kkgrls at 1:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• But on the other hand, DC is also one of the safest cities in the world.

I live just outside of DC and know first hand that it has one of the highest crime rates in the country if not in the world.

Anonymous

• you know, i think we all need to settle down with the fear stuff. hopefully the change in politicians can bring change to the fearmongering culture we have. teach your children not to buy into that crap. they are in no more or less danger there than anywhere else IMO. hopefully it will all be just one big celebration.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think they will be fine.......it will be the safest place to be in America that day.
    Anonymous

• I think we can never be safe enough.However where does it stop.We have to live in the world we are afraid of.Its not all bad there are alot of good things as well.I dont no the childrens father.There fore I dont no if he would care for them.He sounds like an educated person.If you trust him at home with them,Then you have to trust he will watch them.
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2008