my mom drove into a building today

i am seroius, she drove into the building, hitting it, nor into i guess
had to take her to urgent care
thank God, nothing broken
ice ice and more ice on her nose and below knee

she says she does not know how she hit gas instead of break

anyone else do this? or should i be very worried about her mental health, she is 79

yikes! a three year old with autism and a mom who is driving into brick buildings

maybe when i die, i can rest, and maybe someone can take care of me

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 11:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Are you sure she should be driving? My mother is 79 also, she gave up her license willingly. She said she would rather do that than to live with the possibility of hitting someone. She said she couldn't live with the guilt. I can understand where she is coming from. Take a ride with her and see how well she really is driving. Although you may be afraid, it's the only way to tell for sure.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would say she is offically too old to drive! Good luck
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would take her to the doctor for a check up and then privately ask him some questions about things like her mental health, ability to drive and take care of herself, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree with these guys. It might be time to relinquish her DL. It's always hard for them to lose their independence, but it's worse when they hit a family of 4 and really hurt someone. =(
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I hope she is feeling better flatpax!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i know
    if someone was on sidewalk they would have been killed!
    police came i guess, and they did not give her ticket, the police said they would fllow her home and did not
    she said car had scratch, but i looked (it was dark) but i saw buckled front end, will need to go into the shop

she drove into a brick walgreens building!!

what is next!
    will my life ever be calm and normal?
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Oh...I'm so sorry :( Your poor Mom. Did she black out? Does she remember exactly what happened? I might would take her to her normal Dr. and see what they say. I'm so, so sorry. I'm sure she was freaked out. I've hit the gas on accident in times past, thinking it was the break. It does happen. Glad that she is OK though, that's the important part. It's possible that it was just an accident though. She might have just lost her footing, it does happen. Hope things get better for you guys. Thank goodness though that she is OK :)
    Charlie98

Answer by Charlie98 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• it was raining, so maybe slippery
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2010