Sex education for kids

I was just wondering if i should educate my boys turning 6 in February about sex and if so- HOW?

Dezitwins

Asked by Dezitwins at 12:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• The sooner the better, IMO. The longer you wait, the more taboo it becomes, and the more misinformation they hear. It's beat if they get their information from you, so they know your family's stance on things.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We used a book to help us talk with our kids. It was also bought at a Christian book store.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yeah, I think sex ed should be something they learn from you before they learn it from their friends. I don't think 6 is too young to start the topic. Ask your pediatrician for advice on how to start. They are too young to really understand it all, but learning the names of body parts and learning the basics of where babies come from might be things they could handle. Do you know any new babies? That might be an opening. I think this should be something that is honestly and simply talked about within the family (age appropriately of course), but also explain that it makes some people feel shy (just like the topics of money or religion) so it's polite to not bring it up to others.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My DS and I have been talking about it ever since my brother's girlfriend got presents. He is enamored of his twin cousins and wants to know everything about how they got here. He is 5 so I have kept it pretty simple. We have the book "Where did I come from?" and have read it a couple times now. It is the same book I read as a kid. Just keep it simple and let them ask all the questions they want.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• What we've done is just kept it an open conversation from the time they could talk and we keep it age appropriate. If they have a question, we answer it according to their age. Example: If our 3 year old daughter asked where babies came from, we'd tell her that daddy puts the baby in mommy's tummy and it grows and comes out 9 months later. If our 6 year old son asked the same question we'd tell him that when 2 people are in love, they make love and sometimes that can result in the mommy getting pregnant. The older they get, the more information we will give them. I think if you make it a taboo subject, they will be more likely to go to other sources to find out what they want to know, so just be open and honest. Don't force more info on them than they care to know, but don't hide anything either...just follow the kids' lead.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 2:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010