If you have a old pillow, can't you just wash it anyways to eliminate dust mites?

Okay. I heard that you should replace your pillows every 2 yrs. The reason for this is that you could get tons of dust mites on it. However you live with dust mites most of the time. I know you can eliminate dust mites as much as you can. Can't you just wash your old pillows and reuse them again after two yrs and their will be less dust mites either way. What are you thoughts on this?

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 12:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Moat pillows can be washed, but the filling can get warped and weird. Plus, it's often more ergonomical to have a good pillow.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I always wash my pillows My kids spill stuff on them the cats lay on them etc, eventually they become flat or lumpy so I do buy new ones but I would say we use the same pillows for more than 2 years
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 12:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would be afraid of mold forming. Better to just buy a new pillow. They say freezing things can kill dust mites though so if you have room in your freezer....LOL.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I always just wash my pillows in the washing machine and throw them in the dryer. Works great!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 12:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I've always washed my pillows from time to time. I use feather pillows, and I wash them with bleach about once a year, then dry them in the dryer with some tennis balls in the dryer to keep breaking up clumps of feathers.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yes, you can wash your pillows and the heat from the dryer will kill most of the mites, The pillows do become deformed some and you have to pull them apart and reshape them.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I spray my pillows and mattresses with Sol-U-Mel - its natural and kills dust mites!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• If you chose to wash your pillows, be sure to wash them in Hot water with a little bleach. Drying them is easy. Just open a new package of tennis balls and throw in while they tumble dry. You will need to check to make sure the centers are dry. It make take more than one drying cycle.
    I have washed both feather and poly-filled pillows just fine for years now!
    firemans_wife

Answer by firemans_wife at 8:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i hadnt really thought
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2010