can i still handdle my pets? iv heard so many different things

ok so i have so many people telling me im not supposed to handle my rats anymore, because they carry diseases which i know they dont other than in their Urine(just like every other pet), i forgot to ask my doctor when i was there yesterday cuz i was still dizzy from passing out giving blood, i go back in 2 weeks but i have to take my rat out for 2 hours everyday and if im not supposed to hold her and play with her idk what im gonna do cuz ill feel guilty.

so people who own rats and were pregnant or are pregnant are you allowed to play with them still? or is it the same as a dog or cat?

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 12:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i know when i got pregnant they told me not to get a cat. i was living by myself while my husband (at that time fiance) was finishing school and I wanted something to take care of lol so we got a bearded dragon. i handled her throughout my pregnancy. she ended up passing away a little before my son was born. all they told me was to make sure i washed my hands after handling her.
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 12:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have five mice and my dr hasn't advised me to get rid of them.Just be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling them! Also as far as kitties go.If you have been around them for a couple years and handled them for at least a year there is a good chance that you have been exposed to toxoplasmosis from their feces and should be fine.I am a vet tech and have three kitties that I have had for a couple years and my doctor and research have said that I should be fine.You can also have a blood test called a toxoplasmosis titer done to determine if you have been exposed.If you have it cannot affect your baby.As a precaution I wear gloves and a mask as to not inhale the chemicals from their urine!Both dogs and cats can carry worms, some of which can be transmitted to humans.So if you get a doggie or kitty be sure to have fecal samples done on them and have them dewormed regularly.
    amberfm

Answer by amberfm at 3:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The best part of my first pregnancy was making hubby clean out the kitty little box. :-) Beyond that, as was previously mentioned, frequent handwashing is sufficient usually.
    LadyKatya

Answer by LadyKatya at 6:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• haha well its a good thing my cat lives outside and goes to the bathroom in the yard like my dog so i dont have to clean it anyway XD
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010