Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

XH has custody of my daughter, and just informed me that he is looking for a job out-of-state!

What can I do, legally, to keep him from moving out of state with her? He got custody because when I left him, I left with nothing and didn't have the money to be able to support her.

Now, I'm established, have a new husband, a good job, and am getting things squared away. Like I said, he has custody, and has been teaching from home for Kaplan and has been looking for a job teaching at a college on a campus somewhere, and plans on taking the first teaching gig he can get, regardless if it is here in MO or elsewhere in the US. What can I do to keep him from taking my daughter even farther away from me?

Answer Question

Asked by meganbearden at 12:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 10 (439 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Talk to a lawyer they'll tell you your options.. good luck

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • i'm pretty sure he would have to get the courts permission to take her out of state. i could be wrong but when my stepbrother and his now ex girlfriend broke up she took all 3 of their kids to las vegas without his permission. he went to court and she had to move back to california.

    Answer by lovingedward at 12:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • I guess you have to go by the court order.Have u tried talking to a lawyer?

    Answer by gabby06 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • You need a lawyer.

    Answer by BluDog at 12:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Don't your custody papers address this? I know with my dh and his ex she can't move further away without his permission. If not then get a lawyer and file immediately.

    Answer by bseastrand at 12:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • The divorce papers say nothing about either of us living out of state. I would talk to a lawyer if I could afford one. Just a consultation with any of the lawyers where I live would cost me a couple hundred dollars that I can't spare right now. (I've already done my christmas shopping, and am out of funds til after the first of the year). I don't even know how to find out if I qualify for legal aide.

    Comment by meganbearden (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • you need a lawyer today!

    if he has full custody, he MAY be able to- i do not know

    do you have any custody given by the courts?? this makes a difference

    get lawyer!!!

    Answer by fiatpax at 12:56 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • maybe this website could help...i don't know what state you live in but this site could probably tell you how to go about getting legal aid in your state

    Answer by lovingedward at 12:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • I know when SO ex tried to take SS to Florida he had to go to court to stop her.Now she can't move 100 miles outside of county.

    Answer by preciouschild at 1:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Contact your county and they should be able to let you know if you are eligible for legal aid.

    I do know that it depends on the custody situation. If you have joint custody then he would have to get permission, but if he has full custody then you might be a little outta luck. Definitely contact a lawyer. If you explain to them that your budget is tight and that you cannot pay until January, they will understand. Some will even set up payment plans for you. But, keep in mind that unless he has already got his out of state job lined up, it may take him months or longer to find one and get all the details squared away, so not being able to afford a lawyer for 2-4 weeks might not be the end of the world. Good luck.

    Answer by LadyKatya at 6:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.