SHOULD I PUT MY 4 Y/O ON A DIET

MY 4 Y/O WEIGHS 67 IBS. ITS SCARY.IM SCARED SHE WILL DEVELOP JUVENILE DIABETIES OR A CLOT IN HER HEART OR ANYTHING HEALTH AND OBESE RELATED. SHE EATS ALL DAY LONG. I HAVE TO HIDE FOOD FROM HER AND I DONT EVEN BUY JUNK. ITS AN ONGOING BATTLE WITH HER TO EAT FOOD THAT I COOK. IF I COOKED IT SHE WONT EAT IT. INSTEAD WHEN I GO TO THE BATHROOM OR AWAY FOR A SECOND SHE WILL BE IN THE FRIDGE EATING ANYTHING THAT SHE CAN. HOW CAN I STOP HER,OR EVEN HELP HER?

CPmom4

Asked by CPmom4 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try putting her in sports if you havnt yet.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• That is called an eating disorder and you need to talk to her pediatrician about so that he/she can recommend what the next step should be. It isn't something you can do on your own, you're going to need help.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Put a lock on your fridge and talk to her pediatrician about what her daily diet should be. Kudos for trying to do what is best for you LO.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree with these guys. You need to put a lock on the fridge and enlist the help of a professional who deals in children with eating disorders. You are very wise to jump on this now, mama! Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:48 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Step one: buy a lock for the fridge. Step two only put healthy things where she can reach them. (Fruit in a bowl for example) Step three call your pediatrician Step four get her active. Play kickball with her, put her in karate or dance, teach her how to ride her bike, etc. Address this asap. Everyday you wait is one day longer that your daughter is unhealthy. I applaud your efforts.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would call the ped doctor.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i definitely would call a doctor. and it couldn't hurt with keeping her active
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 12:54 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Talk to a nutritionist.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You need a lock on your fridge and cabinets and need to talk to her doctor right away! There are a couple of different things that can go wrong where someone never feels full and so they become compulsive eaters. Make sure to portray healthy eating for her. Watch your portion sizes and eat nutritious foods. Also be active with her and make getting exercise fun for her. And involve her in cooking and teach her about healthy eating while you are in the kitchen together.
    LadyKatya

Answer by LadyKatya at 6:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• BTW..IKEA has a latch that can be used on cupboards or the fridge and it works wonderfully. We put the latch on our fridge over 18 months ago and it is not showing any signs that it has been in use so long. And even better, the kids have not figured out how to open it.

LadyKatya

Answer by LadyKatya at 6:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2010